Woo! micro tank!

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
they make hang on refugiums. Thats something you could look into and possibly purchase for the back of the tank. This will be a place you could put new inverts or something. Wont work as a QT but something that will add some nutrient export for you.

Heres a link to one that would work good on a 10 gallon.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3618&pcatid=3618

May be a bit big for the tank, but it could hang off the back of the tank and still maybe allow room for your filter or whatever your using for it. Another option would be a fuge with a skimmer built in that would you would really only need the fuge with skimmer and decent water flow in the tank for biological growth.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I will probably build my own refugium.
Tell me if this stocking list is ok?
10 lbs of live rock- $60
8 hermits- $16
5 snails- $10
cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)-$18
Green Tip Hammer coral-$35
Long tentacle anemone-$20
Pagoda coral-$30
Percula Clown-$17

Starting Total-$226
Which is right in my starting budget
As mentioned in other threads this is just starting when I get a extra money I will go blow it on improving this lol. As many have said Aquariums are like drugs except more expensive. So tell me what you think of my selection? All of these will be natives to the Great Barrier Reef. I haven't picked species of snails or hermits yet.
Thanks
Serafino

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
IMO thats a lot of snails for such a small tank. Why not 1 or 2. If your planning on getting a fuge your not going to have much algae with 2 or so snails and the fuge. Just a thought.

Stocking choices look fine, but you will really need the T-5 for the hammer and annemone. hammers are great coral and im waiting on my nice set of VHO's to arrive at my doorstep lol.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
you can get fire shrimp for $18? i envy you

you didn't add the lights into your total...

and yeah, i have 2 astreas and one margarita snail in my 10 and am thinking of returning the marg into the lion tank where i got it. (just borrowed to help clean up diatoms)

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Woops your right forgot the lights. Petsmart has them for $20 a bulb or I just got payed and may buy the units. I'll keep an extremely close eye on the life the first couple weeks.
So the new list
10 lbs of live rock- $60
8 hermits- $16
5 snails- $10
cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)-$18
Green Tip Hammer coral-$35
Long tentacle anemone-$20
Pagoda coral-$30
Percula Clown-$17
T-5 HO light bulbs-$20
(possible lighting units- $80)

Starting Total-$246-326
All in all I didn't way over do my budget and will probably add things slowly as to not go blow 300 dollars at once.
I found a great deal on those fire shrimp muhahaha, a LFS got had one but needed to get rid of it to switch the tank to FW for I believe feeders. So hopefully it will still be there it probably will since no one here really has marine tanks.
I would keep the marg in the 10 gal and move one astr out IMO. Or keep them all. A 10 gallon will most likely get algae again much more quickly then your lion tank which I assume since its a lion is much larger. Just my 2 cents on it.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
well if there's a shop i'd think there would be..... and at 18 it will NOT last long at all

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ha I was wrong! They are always 17.99 I couldn't really believe it. Got one acclimating my babies now. Here is what I bought today. Percula clown, turbo snail, skunky lol, and a double headed frog spawn muhaha and I got a store credit of 20 bucks. All of them arebeing acclimated now. Oh and also 5 pounds of premium live rock at 6 bucks a pound. Another store around me had live rock for 5 bucks a pound but I trust the other guys more so I payed 6. I will add more live rock when I get the money to which should be fairly soon. Ha ha ha its starting to look pretty good.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Here are some pics of my nano that I just set up today. I didn't turn on both lights just one so they can settle in to their new home. My stupid camera won't focus correctly so they are a bit fuzzy and the pic of my turbo snail was really bad so I didn't include it.

my tank with just live sand

my 150 gallon freshwater compared to the wimpy 10 gallon nano on the right

the out of focus percula clown and the lysmata amboinensis in the back

same except now the amboinensis is upside down lol

here is my green tipped frogspawn

I'll be buying more corals and live rock soon so it will look even nicer.

Nooo the pics don't show! how do I get them to appear I used imageshack.us to host but it didn't work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store