Worm Farm

scadarette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
louisiana
Chompers, what is your output(reproduction rates)?

scadarette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
louisiana
I'm going to build this on Saturday...great idea..tired of buying nightcrawlers from the bait shop every week, thanks for the idea

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Please do not consider this as disrespectful or arrogant, but.... I live in Northern WI and we are experiencing some major problems with the native flora and fauna, and here it is, because of invasive earthworms.
I now this sounds silly but due to their very nature (natures composters) earthworms are eating plants and animals out of house and home.
I have seen data from studies showing the direct impact non-native earthworms have on local flora and fauna. They are actually to efficient at composting and have denuded mcuh of the vital leaf litter on our forest floors.
Moral of the story, just be careful your worms don't get away.:)

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
scadarette;1493703; said:
Chompers, what is your output(reproduction rates)?
I don't know what the maximum reproduction potential is for Florida's earthworms but feeding my fish treats or going fishing never had a significant impact on the population.

I let them get too dry and am now rebuilding the population. I reseeded with some worms from the bait shop. I'm crossing my fingers for some giant worms.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
FireMedic;1495408; said:
Please do not consider this as disrespectful or arrogant, but.... I live in Northern WI and we are experiencing some major problems with the native flora and fauna, and here it is, because of invasive earthworms.
I now this sounds silly but due to their very nature (natures composters) earthworms are eating plants and animals out of house and home.
I have seen data from studies showing the direct impact non-native earthworms have on local flora and fauna. They are actually to efficient at composting and have denuded mcuh of the vital leaf litter on our forest floors.
Moral of the story, just be careful your worms don't get away.:)
We do know what you mean, even tho CHOMPERS location doesn't show it we live in the ecological disaster area of the U.S. :nilly:

Dr Joe

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
CHOMPERS;1495449; said:
Can ya send me some?
CHOMPERS ...shame on you! that's just what he's talking about! :irked:

Now go feed your snakeheads and wolffish and be quiet. :ROFL:

King Edward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I dug over my garden the other day and something felt weird. I couldnt put my finger on it, then it came to me....there are no worms. I normally feel guilty for chopping them in half but here there are none! I've never seen that before. All I can think of is they dont like sandy soil?

scadarette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
louisiana
Chompers, I built the worm farm last night. Instead of PVC drain field, I used pea gravel (2 inches) wrapped in the landscaping fabric...thanks for the idea....we haven't had any earthworm related problems in Louisiana, yet...(hope I didn't just JINX the whole state)...Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store