Worm Farm

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I am doing it and with good results.
Only thing is I only put in fruit peelings. With the box closed, no smell comes out of it.

When you want to pick some worms, it is easy. They congregate under the fruit peelings by the ton.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
loogielv;2450395; said:
i'm sorry to be so dense here, but can you explain this a little more in depth? you put the compost on top of the pvc and then cover the compost w/ the pillow, or you put the compost on top of the pillow? … …is the pvc meant to drain water out of the bin? water flows down into the slits well enough?

Yes, the pvc is to drain out water so that the worms don’t drown. To prevent the slits from clogging, the polyfill (pillow) is placed on top. Then that is covered with the weed barrier so that the fibers are kept clear. The job of the polyfill is to maintian a space between the slits in the pvc and the weed barrier.

loogielv;2450395; said:
when you say "fish food' you're talking about the worms correct? not any of the organics right?

Correct. The organics in the compost will make a mess of your fish tank.

loogielv;2450395; said:
how do worms get into the compost if everything is in a seal container? or do you add them and they reproduce? if you're merely trying to concentrate the worms into one area couldn't you just throw food in the same pile out in the woods enough for the worms to gather there? i'm sorry, fish keeping is still new to me and worm farming is totally off my block. hope you don't mind. thanks for insight and i'm very intrigued.

You have to seed the worm farm with worms, otherwise it would just be a compost bin. You can use compost out in the woods to attract worms, but you won’t be containing them. Nor would you be preventing predation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store