Worms!!

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
I recently noticed that my tank went cloudy all of a sudden and upon further expection I saw white dots all over my glass.. Which then as I watched them closer they were wiggling..... I have 4 tanks and they are in them all.. I've looked up different stuff on the Internet and I'm guessing they are detritus worms?.. Do they spread from taking objects out and putting them in one tank to another...? I don't understand what is going on or if I should be worried please help figure this out.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I recently noticed that my tank went cloudy all of a sudden and upon further expection I saw white dots all over my glass.. Which then as I watched them closer they were wiggling..... I have 4 tanks and they are in them all.. I've looked up different stuff on the Internet and I'm guessing they are detritus worms?.. Do they spread from taking objects out and putting them in one tank to another...? I don't understand what is going on or if I should be worried please help figure this out.
that's exactly what they are. Water changes and stop overfeeding your fish and you'll see them disappear. They are harmless anyhow. Are they stuck to the glass in one spot or are they slowly wriggling up the water column?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
How did they get in all four of my tanks though?
Are they stuck to the glass or moving freely?

overfeeding is the number 1 cause of these little fellas, then using tank gear between all your tanks can transfer them, or they can hitch a ride on plants as well.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
Omg thank God. So what should I do to get rid of them? I've been so worried all night and Google certainly didn't make it better lol

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
They are stuck to the glass and I moving freely it looks like.. There is white partials floating all around in all my tanks.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Omg thank God. So what should I do to get rid of them? I've been so worried all night and Google certainly didn't make it better lol
As Pred said, large water changes, vacuum the substrate and cut back on feeding. They will eventually disappear.

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
Actually is there any possibility that this can be anchor worms? I just recently bought 2 silver dollars from my local pet store and in the process came home with one that has a lesion on its side, and acts weird. Today I went back to the same pet store and looked in the tank which said "closed for observation" not for sale... Huh.. Wtf right and as I peered into the tank there were several silver dollars in there with giant lesions on them.. Big open wounds... When I asked about it they said they were attacking each other or it was the mollys in the tank. Now this may all be a coincidence but it's very disturbing to me and all my fish tanks have this floating matter and also worms on the glass.... Please someone help I'm scared.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It's planaria. Harmless but a symptom of overfeeding and poor water conditions. Gravel vacuum substrate, keep up on your water changes, make sure you don't overfeed and leave excess food in the tank and they will start to disappear in a month or two.

They do not eat your fish so relax. Just clean up your operation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store