May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
its a plakat

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
It's not a plakat. It's a Libby's betta...Betta splendens but just bred selectively for size...just like how you would breed for color or finnage.

Amante_di_Betta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2008
Upstate New York
Its a giant HMPK (Halfmoon giant plakat). They are just giants. Nothing spectacular. PetCo likes to label things with catchy names..it works sometimes and other times it fails because they mislable things wrong.

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I've always wanted a plakat..... Too bad my sparkling gouramis would be destroyed by one. Maybe a new tank?

Hmong_Xiong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2009
Wisconsin
Amante_di_Betta;2883407; said:
Its a giant HMPK (Halfmoon giant plakat). They are just giants. Nothing spectacular. PetCo likes to label things with catchy names..it works sometimes and other times it fails because they mislable things wrong.

I've breed bettas for over 10 years and trust me that is not a halfmoon gaint plakat. That is just a sales pitch to make it sound cool. The betta in the photo is just a regular MALE plakat. That also is not a gaint betta. The gaint trait is now forever lost 3 inch isn't big. Long ago gaint bettas got up to 7inches.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
coreyweinkoetz;2597487; said:
The regional animal sales people told me there bigger :screwy:and have smaller fins :screwy:thats what you get out of people who have a business degree and are in charge of animal welfare:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:
I've talked to there Districte managers a there RCAC 's and be all over there web sites and they know nothing . They don't know what there selling.
This is not surprising. This is corporate america in the animal trade.

micstarz;2598100; said:
It's not a plakat. It's a Libby's betta...Betta splendens but just bred selectively for size...just like how you would breed for color or finnage.
The Libby strain is a strain that appeared in veils. Simply put, larger veils.
The fish pictured is a basic Plakat.

Amante_di_Betta;2883407; said:
The fish is a standard PK. To qualify as a HMPK the fish would have to have more than a 2 ray count.

Hmong_Xiong;2884993; said:
The gaint trait is now forever lost 3 inch isn't big. Long ago gaint bettas got up to 7inches.
I suspect that the 7" giant betta trait was a myth. There have never been any pictures to prove a 7" betta, neither from asian breeders or Jim Sonnier. And even if there was I don't think a 7" PK could have ever been possible as any "giant betta" I've seen that makes it bigger than 3.75" is a long finned variety, so the Giant size on the 7" betta would have been a lot of fin anyway.
A standard giant PK will be 3"TL and a few may reach 4", these sizes include fins and naturally run higher for long finned bettas but this is still inches short of internet claims of a 7" betta.

catxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
London, UK
www.theaquariumwiki.com
I've seen half-giant Plakats at Wildwoods in Enfield last year sometime. By Giant they were a very chunky 3". Definitely nothing special, just a mutant gene that makes them grow bigger than they should.

Google image "giant Betta" and there are plenty of breeders with giant plakats, and a few longer-tailed varieties. They are becoming more popular, but I agree, i've never seen a confirmed 7" Betta.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store