Zebra Parrot pacu

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you. Sorry for the confusion (Korean, not Chinese).

Thanks for elaborating on the fish.
I am now thinking that they may not be a different species from Metynnis fasciatus, just unusual color variants. The face shape of the two individuals with unusual markings does look somewhat different.
No other species of barred Metynnis that similar to M. fasciatus has been scientifically described.
They DO appear to be mature enough to be sexually differentiated, and if so, both specimens appear to be female.
Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing.
If possible, keep posting pictures of them as they continue to grow.

Seungtaekim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2023
Thank you. Sorry for the confusion (Korean, not Chinese).

Thanks for elaborating on the fish.
I am now thinking that they may not be a different species from Metynnis fasciatus, just unusual color variants. The face shape of the two individuals with unusual markings does look somewhat different.
No other species of barred Metynnis that similar to M. fasciatus has been scientifically described.
They DO appear to be mature enough to be sexually differentiated, and if so, both specimens appear to be female.
Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing.
If possible, keep posting pictures of them as they continue to grow.
These are unrecorded new species! A long-term enthusiast says it takes about two years for the species to become sexually differentiated

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Welcome to the forum!
Clearly you can read and write in English. I can’t read nor speak Chinese.
Can you help by communicating in English?
Cheers!
It's Korean. Not Chinese.

Interesting community!!

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Definitely no relation with asterias, which is a Myloplus. These are Metynnis. To me, most closely related to M. Fasciatus, probably a variant of it, with more interrupted ‘tiger’ stripes. Alternatively, hopefully soon molecular analyses will settle the identity and relationships.

Reactions: koltsixx

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
the tiger parrot is called that because the mouth structure is completely different than the metynnis group of fish, including fasciatus. here is an example of a 5" specimen in my tank. and I have fasciatus also in the same tank for comparison. They're not closely related at all

IMG_9982.jpg

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
the tiger parrot is called that because the mouth structure is completely different than the metynnis group of fish, including fasciatus. here is an example of a 5" specimen in my tank. and I have fasciatus also in the same tank for comparison. They're not closely related at all
Hi Wes, to my knowledge you're one of the most knowledgeable(redundant much.lol) members when it comes to SD's. I would love to see a thread with all the SD species you've encountered. More and more species are becoming available and unfortunately the common names are mudding up identifying them.

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

View attachment 1538573
Whether they are a variant of Metynnis fasciatus or not, I do not know (but suspect they may be). You know your fish and have access to them and have my respect.
However, the fish IS a Metynnis. No question about that at all. It is NOT in any other different genus of Serrasalmidae.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Whether they are a variant of Metynnis fasciatus or not, I do not know (but suspect they may be). You know your fish and have access to them and have my respect.
However, the fish IS a Metynnis. No question about that at all. It is NOT in any other different genus of Serrasalmidae.
I'm not sure but I believe Wes is saying the OP's fish is not a Zebra Parrot Pacu as indicated in the threads title because of the mouth structure. Not that he's stating the fish isn't a Metynnis. I could be mistaken though about what Wes is trying to say. Parrot Serrasalmidae have almost a beak like mouth shape like my Xinguensis, hence the common name of parrot. IMG_0558.jpeg

Reactions: FJB
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store