PLECO HUNT

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Can we see your source for this statement?

You have to realize something about Florida. This is the land of invasive species. Just because you heard some news reports about snakes doesn't mean they are doing more harm then a specific fish. Plenty of invasives are so common that people don't bother talking about them anymore. The reptile front has gotten some new additions so it is getting more attention now (especially since stories about snakes killing alligators started). But you don't hear anyone worry about the Brown Anole, since it is now considered "the common lizard" (it turned the rather common Green Anole into a relatively rare find). You don't hear anyone talk about Curly-Tailed Lizards anymore since they are becoming the new "common lizard". The past few cold-spells took care of the Iguana population (for now) but before that people were rounding them up and killing them. The Cuban Knight Anole got some minor attention but the cold-spells seem to have taken care of their population. On the fish front, just about everything has been invasive so long people don't talk about them. The only thing really getting attention is the Lionfish since it is a fish eater. Doesn't mean the other invasives arn't doing any damage though. Or that the snakes are doing more damage.

Dude, if constrictors weren't an issue, it would still be legal to own them in FL.

http://www.venom-center.com/forums/index.php?topic=3684.0
http://jacksonville.com/news/florida/2010-06-30/story/several-new-florida-laws-take-effect-thursday (senate bill 318)
http://www.fort.usgs.gov/products/publications/pub_abstract.asp?PubID=22762

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Can we please play nice and get this thread back on topic?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If I remember correctly, someone posted a video of a dive trip to a waterbody that have overpopulation of the plecos somewhere in this site. Maybe Ill try to find it.

Khemul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
South Florida
I didn't say they weren't an issue. You said that they were causing more harm then plecos.

You basically said the OP should ignore the plecos because the snakes are a bigger issue. In Florida you can find just about the entire pet store catalog on the invasive species list. The logic of "there are bigger threats, stop worrying about this one" doesn't work.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
The whole purpose she posted this thread was to say see what happens when invasives are released in local waterways. And like most threads that run too long it got twisted and turned upside down and under and sideways. I have been keeping plecos (all kinds for years) and they are my favorite fish but I see nothing wrong in what she is doing. Alarge pleco is a powerful fish and can be destructive. Not the fishes fault that it is where nature never intended it to be but it is there thanks to man and will have to be dealt with. Also scubachick didn't put the plecos there some idiot or idiots did!

Crashkt90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2011
Tampa,Fl
Im not gonna lie i thought scubachick was older lol... Good thing im only 20 ;)

But anyways, I really dont see the big deal people are over reacting.. But i do wish if plecos did there job better and not poo as much i wouldnt mind them but damn. I like my oto cats better.

jakeca77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Golden State of Mind
Great job at lowering the numbers of an invasive species. I do believe though, that if you're gonna kill them then you should eat them! Truth is that they aren't bad. I ate them in Brazil once, along with a bunch of other fish that people keep in fish tanks here... I'm sure they would be great grilled with a squeeze of lime..

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I am glad you have the drive to do this sort of thing scuba. Your doing good work. I dont like to see creatures die without reason. But in this case I support the humane killing of these fish.

Water

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Houston
This thread is funny. Anyway, I 100% support what you're doing, Scuba. You're killing off a few invasive species that would do more harm than good being in that body of water. I don't see why people are so against it.. Sure it would be great to rehome those plecos, but lets be realistic, not many people are going to want a 2ft long common pleco. I remember when I was younger.. My dad used to go cast netting in this river by our apartment.. He would try to catch Texas cichlids but all he pulled up were these massive plecos. I would see him pull out his machete and cut off each and every one of their heads. A few months earlier, with 1 cast, you could catch 10-15 Texas cichlids. Plecos, believe it or not, do cause a lot of damage. Luckily, over the years we've had really cold winters so it wiped our some of the plecos.. Came back a few weeks ago to fish there during prime Texas cichlid spawning.. Didn't hook a single one, but I still saw a couple plecos swimming along the banks sucking on rotting logs. I'ma try to go back there and try my hand at casting.. Hoping to catch a few plecos.. Even though my efforts my be futile, it should provide some relief to the native fish.

Now that I'm done with that, I'm only 18. We can go to prom together ;D LOL

ScubaChick0121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Florida
:D haha hey mabey we can take some monster plecos as our dates! Also thankyou water, J.Lake, and jakeca77!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store