MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
If you read my posts, If they are used for something once killed, and not just thrown in the dump... or if you can do some type of event to raise money to catch them, no problem by me.

I was told to do research when the person that told me this added a link to something another person wrote.. it wasn't any scientific article or anything of the sort, so to me, it was just another story. I could write an article about lampreys being in our water systems, but that doesn't make it true... that's my point.

Plecos are no where near asian carp, and as one day maybe they will be, but not anytime soon, as asian carp reproduce much faster than almost any other fish.
If you actually did a little research, you would realize it was written by Juan Miguel Artigaz Azas, considered by many to be one of THE foremost Cichlid experts in the world. AND, it cited:

Capps, Krista; 2010; "The effects of exotic armored catfish on native cichlid habitat, quality, and abundance"; Buntbarsche Bulletin; (n. 260), pp. 8-11 (crc03052)

So that's just something someone wrote to you? Get real. I'm done with this thread, I'm sure anyone reading it will be able to see who is "talking out of their butt."

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
She posted this thread, and she kinda knew what was coming to her. She knew she would get flamed. No offense to the OP, but I think she put it in this section for more attention.

Move it to the pleco thread where it BELONGS.
eh, idk how much it has to do with getting attention - just sharing an experience. I thought it was pretty cool to see somebody get involved with the problem and didn't see an issue with it bein posted. Not trying to get in on this argument, but IF she was trying to get more attention knowing she'd be flamed, THEN she would have put it in the pleco section as those individuals are gonna be more likely to get upset by this kinda thing.

Once again not trying to jump in to a fight just sayin i think that's highly unlikely

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Uhm... oregon state only offers a 4 yr degree... so PhD huh?
"The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife offers graduate work leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees with majors in fisheries or wildlife science. The Department participates in the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies in Natural Resource Management."

http://fw.oregonstate.edu/Graduate%20Information/prospective.htm

I CANNOT BELIEVE how ignorant you continue to be when you're just blatantly wrong. And I didn't work at some "petsmart," I only bagged fish once or twice a week for a few hours, with a big order going out every other week. The other 90% of it is caring for fish in hundreds of holding tanks and the dozens of breeding projects that were set up there, many with rare fish that the owner had gone to Africa and personally collected. Point is, I've completely immersed myself in the hobby for periods of time and I know a thing or two about it. Comparing me to a petsmart worker is laughable.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
You say you want to start all these breeding projects and a fish store and then you post things about you wondering why your established female betta beat up a newly introduced single female betta a couple days ago? Seriously, just because you have the time and income to have all the tanks and fish you have does NOT make you knowledgable about the hobby.
Bottom line, my posts in this thread are well researched and supported by independent articles I've linked to. Your posts here are uneducated and opinion based, and you move to personal attacks when you cannot support them.
I completely agree.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
"The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife offers graduate work leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees with majors in fisheries or wildlife science. The Department participates in the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies in Natural Resource Management."

http://fw.oregonstate.edu/Graduate%20Information/prospective.htm

I CANNOT BELIEVE how ignorant you continue to be when you're just blatantly wrong. And I didn't work at some "petsmart," I only bagged fish once or twice a week for a few hours, with a big order going out every other week. The other 90% of it is caring for fish in hundreds of holding tanks and the dozens of breeding projects that were set up there, many with rare fish that the owner had gone to Africa and personally collected. Point is, I've completely immersed myself in the hobby for periods of time and I know a thing or two about it. Comparing me to a petsmart worker is laughable.
Wow, this thread went from interesting and cool to see huge plecos to a complete immature attack from mshill...
I think it is funny how she keeps putting words in your mouth... She keeps bringing things up that I never even saw you say.. Not getting in it either, just thought it was so funny to see a fight break out over this, and then it lead to a complete and utter personal attack (from her) this forum is IN THE CRAPPER!!!

ScubaChick0121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Florida
im in red
ALL non native fish should be considered invasive IMO. But, you don't see people killing tanks full of fish. If the OP really wanted to help out in FL she should probably just work with the constrictors- they are causing much more harm than a damn pleco. really? U JUST MISSED THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD! And THIS IS HELPING OUT FL IN A SMALL WAY!
She posted this thread,
you do realize that this forum has the NEVER release an aquarium fish into the wild. STICKY! I thought this would further back up the importance of this by showing a recent example to MFK
and she kinda knew what was coming to her. She knew she would get flamed.
um no??? Thats what your supposed to do in FL
No offense to the OP, but I think she put it in this section for more attention.
Please stop being ignorant, I mean really come on? So everytime someone posts something whether it be a question or sharing an experiance they will be "trying to get attention"

Move it to the pleco thread where it BELONGS.
NO. thats where i WILL be flamed because people who love plecos hang there. And MFk needs to be aware of things like this!

ScubaChick0121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Florida
eh, idk how much it has to do with getting attention - just sharing an experience. I thought it was pretty cool to see somebody get involved with the problem and didn't see an issue with it bein posted. Not trying to get in on this argument, but IF she was trying to get more attention knowing she'd be flamed, THEN she would have put it in the pleco section as those individuals are gonna be more likely to get upset by this kinda thing.

Once again not trying to jump in to a fight just sayin i think that's highly unlikely
and it is :)

ScubaChick0121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Florida
Wow, this thread went from interesting and cool to see huge plecos to a complete immature attack from mshill...
I think it is funny how she keeps putting words in your mouth... She keeps bringing things up that I never even saw you say.. Not getting in it either, just thought it was so funny to see a fight break out over this, and then it lead to a complete and utter personal attack (from her) this forum is IN THE CRAPPER!!!
i find this funny! but i wish someone could clean this thread up because i posted this to make an intresting and cool thread with huge plecos to bring up the invasive species topic and show a recent example.

Khemul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
South Florida
ALL non native fish should be considered invasive IMO. But, you don't see people killing tanks full of fish. If the OP really wanted to help out in FL she should probably just work with the constrictors- they are causing much more harm than a damn pleco.
Can we see your source for this statement?

You have to realize something about Florida. This is the land of invasive species. Just because you heard some news reports about snakes doesn't mean they are doing more harm then a specific fish. Plenty of invasives are so common that people don't bother talking about them anymore. The reptile front has gotten some new additions so it is getting more attention now (especially since stories about snakes killing alligators started). But you don't hear anyone worry about the Brown Anole, since it is now considered "the common lizard" (it turned the rather common Green Anole into a relatively rare find). You don't hear anyone talk about Curly-Tailed Lizards anymore since they are becoming the new "common lizard". The past few cold-spells took care of the Iguana population (for now) but before that people were rounding them up and killing them. The Cuban Knight Anole got some minor attention but the cold-spells seem to have taken care of their population. On the fish front, just about everything has been invasive so long people don't talk about them. The only thing really getting attention is the Lionfish since it is a fish eater. Doesn't mean the other invasives arn't doing any damage though. Or that the snakes are doing more damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store