REVIEW:Fluval FX5 vs Eheim Pro3 compared

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I think for the smaller, normally stocked tanks, that is tanks that do not need 2 fx5s, fx5s make sense. If however, one start to run 2 fx5s on the same tank, then bigger Eheims win. A word about capacity. Flow rates mean nothing if the biological surface area is not there; so even if the flow rate is slower, you will find 2260 can carry more fish load. I have not found bypass an issue with my eheim pro 2s. I will see when I open my 2262 later; but from what I hear from others, that's not an issue for the model.

I am not as impressed with Eheim's pro 3 stuff; and having worked in the electronics industry, I do not like little chips controlling something really mechanical. I do not trust that at all and really unnecessary.

Lastly, Having to service the filter once every 8 month - 12 month instead of every 2 month is worth more than a couple of hundred dollars to me even for a year(yeah, I am lazy. :) )

thatbb6

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Orange County
I just picked up a brand new FX5 for just $150 today!!!! The seller says he works for Hagen so he gets these filters for cheap with employee discount. Filter is very well made and an extremely attractive piece of art at this price.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone that contributed to this thread. I own an FX5, but don't love it so much I am not considering Ehiem. I am considering some of the mods I read about. It amazed me after reading the entire thread how many people asked questions that had already been answered many times.

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
I know some other people have done some work on this, but I think this is the most current. It's a great thread and I refer back to it often as well as having it bookmarked.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Great thread I have an Eheim 2080 i bought used for a good deal. Filter is huge and nice looking. Seems that on very minimal load on my 240 the flow rate is at max and then always goes to half of what it starts with in a few weeks and stays at half. Any suggestions i can do to keep the flow going strong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store