350 Gallon setup and journal

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Thought I would give my setup I decided on for the tank and should be ordering in a few short weeks now. Feel free to give any input:

350 gallon acrylic tank
FX5
8 filter socks (4 x 100 micron, 4 x 50 micron going to run 2 of each)
2 overflows (2 x 1 1/2" drains, 1" return in each overflow)
2 x 2900 laguna maxflo pumps
2 x Laguna flat box filters (on pump intakes)
135 gallon sump
2 x 300w jager heaters
Aquarium digital controller
Pond matrix 4L
Seachem purigen 500ml
1000g ceramic rings
2 x hydro koralia 1400
2 x 48" Aquen led modules (2x white, 1 colormax in each)
Universal Background
Custom built stand by me

Sent from my LGL45C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Guess my setup sounds ok? I've done a lot of research and just waiting on taxes to hit and ordering it then.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I would recommend having the tank drilled for two 2" bulkhead fitting instead of 1.5". It's very easy to reduce to 1.5", but in case you want more flow through the tank, increasing to 2" would be a pain. Using 2" drains gives you a lot more flexibility.

In regards to the Lagunas, are you buying two so that you have one for a back-up in case it fails? Running both of them will definitely overpower two 1.5" drains...even if you end up going with 2" drains, you may need to valve the 2900's back a little so that they don't overwhelm your drains.

With my setup, the overflow teeth on my overflow towers get overwhelmed before my 2" drains do. In other words, not enough water can get through my overflow teeth quickly enough, so water will spill over from the openings on top if I try to push too many GPH. If I wanted more flow, I could either have the overflow teeth cut down a little lower, or widen the gap between the teeth. This is just something else to keep in mind. I haven't really looked around for this because I can push about 4,500GPH through my system before overwhelming my overflow teeth, but I'm sure there is a flow chart somewhere for how many GPH you can push through X inches of whatever size overflow teeth you will have.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I would recommend having the tank drilled for two 2" bulkhead fitting instead of 1.5". It's very easy to reduce to 1.5", but in case you want more flow through the tank, increasing to 2" would be a pain. Using 2" drains gives you a lot more flexibility.

In regards to the Lagunas, are you buying two so that you have one for a back-up in case it fails? Running both of them will definitely overpower two 1.5" drains...even if you end up going with 2" drains, you may need to valve the 2900's back a little so that they don't overwhelm your drains.

With my setup, the overflow teeth on my overflow towers get overwhelmed before my 2" drains do. In other words, not enough water can get through my overflow teeth quickly enough, so water will spill over from the openings on top if I try to push too many GPH. If I wanted more flow, I could either have the overflow teeth cut down a little lower, or widen the gap between the teeth. This is just something else to keep in mind. I haven't really looked around for this because I can push about 4,500GPH through my system before overwhelming my overflow teeth, but I'm sure there is a flow chart somewhere for how many GPH you can push through X inches of whatever size overflow teeth you will have.
I was actually thinking 2" already and maybe instead of two 2900's, two 2400's.

lou0623

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2013
new jersey
hello cl0wnknife im new to this site my name is lou I have a question im hoping you can help me with do you know were I can find a supereme superking filter been looking for one for a long time and im hoping you or someone can help me with that thank you senerly lou. ps sorry abought my spelling :0)

lou0623

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2013
new jersey
hello paulbearer im new to this site but I have some exp with aquariums and my imput is on the lighting I feel that trueluem make the best aquarium lighting they make very brigh t leds and they last a wile I do not have any exp on a aquarium of that size sad to say the biggest aquarium I have ever been able to get my hands on was a 55 gallon but im hopeing for a 125 for my yellow perch and channel catfish and koi I do feel that the true lumen is the best lighting but I do not know if they make a light for the size of a 350 gallon but if they do I think they are the best I hope I was able to help you good luck with everything senerly lou0623

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
350 gallon acrylic tank
FX5
8 filter socks (4 x 100 micron, 4 x 50 micron going to run 2 of each)
2 overflows (2 x 1 1/2" drains, 1" return in each overflow)
2 x 2900 laguna maxflo pumps
2 x Laguna flat box filters (on pump intakes)
135 gallon sump
2 x 300w jager heaters
Aquarium digital controller
Pond matrix 4L
Seachem purigen 500ml
1000g ceramic rings
2 x hydro koralia 1400
2 x 48" Aquen led modules (2x white, 1 colormax in each)
Universal Background
Custom built stand by me

So it begins, so far I have:

135 gallon for sump
Laguna Flat Box Filter (ORDERED)
Marineland Visi-Therm 300w Heaters x2 (ORDERED)
Mesh Bags 6"x10" x6 (ORDERED)
Prime 500ml (ORDERED)

Having a very hard time finding a 2 1/2" gate valve threaded if anyone knows of a place. No I'm not spending $100+ for one either. I'm thinking ill do the two 1 1/2" drains with a laguna 2900 or 4200 return.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Ordered some:

Seachem Matrix
2" Gate Valve
4 x 50 Micron Filter Socks

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Got the tank today and will get pics up tomorrow :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store