Favorite LFS "CUSTOMER" STORIES ...

Saterus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
Minnesota
My sister's idiot ex worked for my local Petco (the manager and some other employees are great). One day the manager got in an argument with a woman because she wanted to buy a 10gal setup and 3 to 6 goldfish to put in it. The manager explained ALL goldfish would get too big for this tank, she would have to get a bigger one or she would not sell her the goldfish. The woman became irate and complained that "the box SHOWS 3 goldfish on it so OBVIOUSLY they CAN live in a 10!". The manager explained that the picture is made on a computer and they have no control over what the company puts on there but 3 goldfish CAN NOT live healthily in a 10 then tried explain how big some of the goldfish naturally get and minimum tank sizes they need..
Things went downhill quickly, the woman started swearing (pretty nonstop) and threatening the manager, assured her she would be f-ing fired by tomorrow, demanded she sell her the 10 and whatever fish she wants. Manager refused, said she wouldn't condemn the fish to die like that, customer started screaming some more and threw the box with the 10 setup at the manager's head.
Threw it at her head.
She finally left when the manager told the multiple employees watching in awe to call the cops. Other customers were taking pictures. The woman continued to cuss them out and swear they'd all be fired for this BS the whole way out.

I've got plenty of great stories from the 3 shops I've worked at and the many I've loitered in but I have never seen someone throw a box of glass at someone out of sheer belligerent stupidity. I pray she never spawns..

Reactions: Frank Castle

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
My sister's idiot ex worked for my local Petco (the manager and some other employees are great). One day the manager got in an argument with a woman because she wanted to buy a 10gal setup and 3 to 6 goldfish to put in it. The manager explained ALL goldfish would get too big for this tank, she would have to get a bigger one or she would not sell her the goldfish. The woman became irate and complained that "the box SHOWS 3 goldfish on it so OBVIOUSLY they CAN live in a 10!". The manager explained that the picture is made on a computer and they have no control over what the company puts on there but 3 goldfish CAN NOT live healthily in a 10 then tried explain how big some of the goldfish naturally get and minimum tank sizes they need..
Things went downhill quickly, the woman started swearing (pretty nonstop) and threatening the manager, assured her she would be f-ing fired by tomorrow, demanded she sell her the 10 and whatever fish she wants. Manager refused, said she wouldn't condemn the fish to die like that, customer started screaming some more and threw the box with the 10 setup at the manager's head.
Threw it at her head.
She finally left when the manager told the multiple employees watching in awe to call the cops. Other customers were taking pictures. The woman continued to cuss them out and swear they'd all be fired for this BS the whole way out.

I've got plenty of great stories from the 3 shops I've worked at and the many I've loitered in but I have never seen someone throw a box of glass at someone out of sheer belligerent stupidity. I pray she never spawns..
My step mom?

*Go S. Vettel #1 RBR! 3 BACK TO BACK WDC AND CONSTRUCTERS! :cheers:

queenbee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2005
w.b.l,minnesota
Just have to write I am loving this thread!!!! So sad but awsomely true lol.People are nuts and have no respect.I work in a pet store and I almost have to take deep breaths every day...I just think about all the people i am helping with my knowledge :) It does get old though that fish always get treated like ****...really down the toilet they go.let me see the "the fish only grow to the size of the tank" or the "i'm older then you so i know more about the hobby" or "i dont understand why my 55 with 3 oscars has crashed every thing was going good for 5 monthss" or lol "wait you mean i dont have to take all my fish out of the tank to clean it and by clean it i mean drain it" or people who only feed thier fish goldfish! omg i could go on and on but tiss late.yay i get to get up and deal with all this tomorrow lol.I really get sick of hearing it's just a fish..well then when i dont gaurentee it why do you get so mad.they are a pet do some research and all will be good in the hood. night fish peeps

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Well I'm a regular at a local fish store and I usually drop in twice a week... well one week they got in this really nice marble motoro so I said to the girl that works there (I know her very well I don't deal with anyone else cause she's the only person that knows and understands freshwater plus she's the manager and I bring and give her a lot of business ) ill bring you 2 ornate bichir for the ray (considering she would let me buy a lot of things for cost she agreed) so I went home got the ornates ( 14 and 16 inches) and I walk back in the store and as she was putting them on acclamation i sat down and me and her started talking and these two young kids walk in probably 17 and 19 maybe and see my fish in the bucket they looked at me and said we'll take these 2 they look cool I said sorry I don't work here but what size tank do you have they reply a 40 gallon high with two 8 inch oscars and a 5 inch red devil so I said in the nicest way I could sorry your tank isnt big enough for the fish you have now you need atleast a 120 gallon plus for those fish you have now at minimum but a 180 would be much more realistic for that stock so im sorry but your not taking these fish your tank is to small and the older of the 2 looks at me and says you don't know **** I'm taking these home !! I reply oh really extremely agitated and seeing red I got up and right as im going to confront the kid the clerk walks in front of me and she goes he's right and let me tell you something he probably knows more about fish then me and anybody else in this store put together if I can't answer something or can't ID something I call him he's got enough tanks to open his own store and he has some of the most amazing fish ive ever seen he has single fish that cost more then your whole setup(to which the older of the 2 turned bright red and put his head down when she said that to him lol)so if i were you id shut my mouth and listen to him....so your not going to talk to him like that your not going to disrespect him like that and your definitely not buying anything from me after that so get out of the store and I don't want to see you back in here ...
So needless to say after that the clerk apologizes to me and this and that and I said to her it's not your fault don't worry about it its fine really and she goes to me no im sorry just cause of that ridiculous event that shouldn't of happened keep the smaller ornate and we'll call it even to which I refused because I knew I was getting a hell of a deal to start with if I did that I felt like I was just ripping her off to which she refused again so I ended up taking home the marble and my smaller ornate so I was very pleased ..
However I still felt bad so I convinced her to let me take her out to dinner then after that I brought her back to my place and my did she really admire my fish lol ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Abruskin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
New Jersey
This is actually a really good story about my LFS. I got a gift card for Christmas for my favorite LFS, but when I went to use it I couldn't find it, and it probably got thrown out on accident. So my dad calls the store and explains the situation and the owner of the store remembered who I was so he said he would honor the card even though I didn't physically have it. He made my day with that and made my favorite store even better. If anyone lives in central nj the store is called fish and pets plus. He has a lot of cool fish and is a really nice knowledgable guy. The store is very clean and has a wide variety of both fresh and salt water fish. Great store, great service.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2012
California
Couple weeks ago had gone to the local Petsmart to buy some marine salt--I can usually get a better deal there than even just ordering it online--as well as check out their mollies, since needed a couple females.

While browsing the molly section noticed that one of the workers was helping an older asian woman with picking out fish. The asian lady really wanted a goldfish for her daughter's tank and went from tank to tropical fish tank asking if those would be alright with a goldfish. To the Petsmart worker's credit she quickly told the lady how much of a horrible idea that was because of a goldfish's ammonia output and so on.

Thoroughly impressed, the asian lady then loudly proclaimed that the worker must have a degree in fish for knowing so much.

Ended up not buying any mollies (noticed a couple floaters, too-red gills, and they mostly had males in their tanks), but was at the register to pay for my marine salt. The asian lady goes to stand behind me with two fancy goldfish. I ask her what size tank her fish were for and she says they're both going into a ten gallon.

Tried explaining to her that she needed at least a 30 gallon tank, but she was worried just getting a single fish would make it lonely and how it needed a friend. She thanked me for the advice anyway and told the cashier to use her Petperk card for my order as well since I was so nice and helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store