The Big Cichlid Hybrid Example Thread (Load Warning)

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
Great thread so far, i was wondering, im under the assumption that the festae is south american. Im not sure where i got this idea from, but it can interbreed with CA's. if it truelly is a SA then what SA cichlids can it breed with ? But if its a CA then my Q is invalid aha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Great thread so far, i was wondering, im under the assumption that the festae is south american. Im not sure where i got this idea from, but it can interbreed with CA's. if it truelly is a SA then what SA cichlids can it breed with ? But if its a CA then my Q is invalid aha

In the world of genetics it matters not so much the location as it is the genetic similarity between two species. Festaes and a number of others may live in South America, but they're more closely related to the CAs, and hence can interbreed with them. Hence they're to be honest more like a CA that came down to SA and evolved to live there.

Reactions: Zanzag

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
In the world of genetics it matters not so much the location as it is the genetic similarity between two species. Festaes and a number of others may live in South America, but they're more closely related to the CAs, and hence can interbreed with them. Hence they're to be honest more like a CA that came down to SA and evolved to live there.
What SA's can breed with it and produce valid fry ?

sharkbite5

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Tuckahoe NY
Awesome thread! I've been noticing that my 6" female Blood Parrot has been making nests and laying eggs and I was wondering if it would be possible that my male 4" Geophagus Surinamensis could fertilize the eggs. I have a young male Jack Dempsey in there as well, but I don't think that he can breed yet.

Here's a couple month old pic of the three

and the tank (ignore the tetras, they were moved)

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
Awesome thread! I've been noticing that my 6" female Blood Parrot has been making nests and laying eggs and I was wondering if it would be possible that my male 4" Geophagus Surinamensis could fertilize the eggs. I have a young male Jack Dempsey in there as well, but I don't think that he can breed yet.

Here's a couple month old pic of the three

and the tank (ignore the tetras, they were moved)

It could be the geo, but i highly doubt that the eggs would become fertile, but depending on the size of the JD it could be him, ino that jd's can breed at a small size

loureyes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for that Thai-Silk hybrid Picture. The face looks awesome, almost like it has some Escondido Texas in it even though it does not. How old is that baby? Would like to see it's Adult pictures when it gets bigger.

thanks,
KrustyArt
The eggs were laid 9/11/12 and the hatched 9/13 he is the largest but not the coolest imo. Out of the 50+ fry i got from them I have around 12 left heres their thread
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?445377-What-is-the-outcome-of

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Anyone know of a source for:

Dovii x Jag
Midas x Jag (first picture)

Both of those are sick...the Midas x Jag almost looks piebald...worth trying to make that a line IMO. If I was more certain of my future job/housing I would start that project.

Anyone have fry of the above?

I also love

Convict x Cuban
Convict x Red Tiger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store