EHEIM 2217 leaking

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
I got this filter on Ebay, it was boxed new but maybe I got a lemon or a previous return, but all seemed new when I got it.

After setting up, runs fine for about an hour, then starts a tiny trickle from a tiny tab on the bottom of the head, where the head goes into the body.

Id like to use this eheim on my 125 (in addition to two emperor 400s and a big sponge) but this leak has me spooked, I thought these Eheims were bulletproof? It works very nicely otherwise.

IMG_5093.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a 2215 which did the exact same thing. I was beginning to think it may be the oring, but I couldn't justify spending more money just to fix a filter that I hated lol. So now it collects dust.

Being that yours is fairy new the Oring should be ok. Did you lube it with some silicone grease? Is the oring seated correctly?

No canister is bullet proof I'm afraid. Eheims have their share of problems same as any manufacturer.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
I have a 2215 which did the exact same thing. I was beginning to think it may be the oring, but I couldn't justify spending more money just to fix a filter that I hated lol. So now it collects dust.

Being that yours is fairy new the Oring should be ok. Did you lube it with some silicone grease? Is the oring seated correctly?

No canister is bullet proof I'm afraid. Eheims have their share of problems same as any manufacturer.

Well, thats the thing. I got this Eheim 3 years ago, thats when I noticed it leaked. I put it away till now, still has same leak, I never tried any lube or anything else, the
Oring seems fine as well.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Don't use vaseline. It's aquarium safe but bad for the rubber. Its petroleum based and isn't good for rubber or silicone orings long term. It does work and I've used it before, it's better than nothing, but a 100% silicone grease is the best thing. You can find it at any hardware or home improvement store in the plumbing aisle.

Just put a small pea sized glob of grease on your finger and run the oring between your thumb and index finger several times until you get a good even coat. Not alot, just sort of a heavy residue

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Don't use vaseline. It's aquarium safe but bad for the rubber. Its petroleum based and isn't good for rubber or silicone orings long term. It does work and I've used it before, it's better than nothing, but a 100% silicone grease is the best thing. You can find it at any hardware or home improvement store in the plumbing aisle.

Just put a small pea sized glob of grease on your finger and run the oring between your thumb and index finger several times until you get a good even coat. Not alot, just sort of a heavy residue
Thanks for the advice, I will try that and report back, thank you.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It may not be the pump head seal that is leaking. The plastic cover over the pump head is removable but you need to take the filter out of service to work on it. The small slots on the pump head hide tabs that you press in to remove the cover. Underneath, you will find an o-ring seal on the output 'spout', it is possible this o-ring is damaged or even missing, especially if this filter was previously used or a return.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
It may not be the pump head seal that is leaking. The plastic cover over the pump head is removable but you need to take the filter out of service to work on it. The small slots on the pump head hide tabs that you press in to remove the cover. Underneath, you will find an o-ring seal on the output 'spout', it is possible this o-ring is damaged or even missing, especially if this filter was previously used or a return.
Thank you very much for the additional info. I will check into that this weekend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store