My 2500 gallon concrete mega tank project

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I had to separate arowana from gar to my second aquarium, because arowana beat gar a lot.
I have been following this thread for a while and I must say that you should charge admission....not only to view the aquarium but also to feed the Koi! Beautifully done and well thought out.
When you have to vacuum the sand, do you get one of your kids to put on scuba gear? Lol. I was wondering how well the concrete insulates from the cold and heat and have you had any issues with the tank settling and forming cracks? I know the pond sealer you used is flexible, I'm just curious. A concrete tank built here in California would worry me just because of the earthquakes we have occasionally, and the soil on my property tends to move as it is clay down about 3'.
I wish you continued success and many many years of enjoyment!!

NUMA

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2011
Slovakia
www.numa.sk
Hello. Thank you for your stopping by. Yes – you can see koi pond in wintergarden behind the root – here is a video of this KOI pond if you want to see it.

I have never vacuumed the sand – it would be almost impossible. Everything is done through filtration system. Nobody also dives there – it would scary the fish and also it would be dangerous due to stingrays. I only clean glass with magnet which I ordered directly from the USA – there wasn`t magnet for such a thick glass in my country. Concrete is insulated with 10 cm styrofoam from the outside - If I switch off my heat pump, water temperature drops only 10C per 24 hours. There are no earthquakes in my country at all but If I could I would move to California immediately because of the nice weather.

Thanks a lot for your nice and kind words I appreciate it highly.

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Amazing tank. I love the way the SDs school in a big tank like that. Love all of the amazing fish in there. Root systems look great.... so why the cheap looking plants???? :) :) Looks like it's still in progress?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store