My 2500 gallon concrete mega tank project

Evolutionnext

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Hi Numa, got to say.. I am impressed. Since I am planning a similar gigantic endeavor
(discussion and planning on it here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ter-tank-discussion-and-brainstorming.681814/)
I would greatly appreciate your experience in a few points that are unclear to me.

1) Did you ever have any leakage problems over the years or was your concrete build perfect frm the start?
2) I saw your layers of sealant.. may I ask which sealant it was that you used? Did you apply it yourself, or did you have aquarium builders do that for you? I am thinking to do a lot myself.. but well.. might be a bad idea....
3) how did you combine the sealant with the glass? Glass in first... then silicone-like sealant to stick the glass in.. and then paint the sealant up and over the edges of the glass? Or how did you do that? I was thinking of painting the sealant all over the empty window frame and only then putting the glass in... not sure if that is a good idea or not.
4) Anything you would have done different in retrospect?

Thanks a lot!

NUMA

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2011
Slovakia
www.numa.sk
Hello, please see answers bellow:

1. I have never had any problems with water leaks
  2. It was Polyurethane liquid liner which can be in direct contact with drinking water for human consumption. I applied it myself in 3 layers – it is no problem
  3. Waterproof concrete first, then aquarium silicone and glass, finally Polyurethane liquid liner
  4. Now I would make surface skimmer connection directly to filtration system – I forgot skimmer, now I have to use swimming skim.
numa-aquarium.jpg

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
I love that you aren't packing it with every huge fish you can find just because you can.
Thats exactly my opinion too. In general you'd need ultra strong filtration and a **** ton of fresh water on a daily basis if you're packing your tank full - at least in my opinion. And I have a lot of respect for everyone that doesn't pack his tank full.

Reactions: aldiaz33

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
What are the plans for tankmates, more rays?
I am not a fan of large driftwood. I feel it takes away a lot of water space and can be overwhelming when looking at it. But not my tank and you put a great amount of effort on your builds, GJ!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store