Are micro-chipped/certified Asian arowanas OK in the US?

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
I know they are illegal my question is this. In Canada you can purchase certified captive bred animals even though they are listed under cites class 1 species. They wouldnt be able to import WC specimens. So what organization in the US do we need to try convince to let us buy certified captive bred/chipped animals?

rubencito

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2016
This guy has a website looks like legit and everything I found an ad on Craigslist it's so impressive but I was still weary that's why I looked it up I almost got skin if it wasn't for you guys thanks to monster fish keepers here is the website.http://tranarowanafishery.com/

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I went to the site above and then chatted with possibly the owner and this was out chat :)

You
Are Asians legal to have in the US?
yes sir
the come with papers
where are you located at?
KY
tran
okay sir
I found this: In the United States, it is illegal to own or import any species of the Asian arowana. The Asian arowana was originally Scleropages formosus, but has since been split into several different species -- all protected. The species is listed as endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature's Red List.
tran
how many gallon is your fish tank
I don't want to get in trouble for having one if they aren't allowed
tran
listern sir
take my advise i have been doing this for 10 years now
the come with their papers
am a breeder here in douglasville ga
i breed them here in the us
i don't import them sir
ok let me do some thinking
tran
you need to have no worries sir
i have been doing this business for years now sir
many people buy with no problem

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
He says he breeds them yet, his web page cites importing them from multiple locations in Asia

Says he's in Kentucky yet, the phone number and 'facility' are in Georgia.

Curious as to the 'papers' the fish comes with. You can't get legitimate paperwork for illegal species.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
EVERY asian arowana ad in the US is BOGUS. I don't care if any seller states these aros come with CITES certification, are chipped, Come with a certificate of authenticity, or have an authorization declaration from the Pope. EVERY live asian arowana is ILLEGAL to possess, sell, trade, or transport within the USA and it's territories.

This is nearly a weekly topic. Believe me when I tell you that; should asian aros ever become legal in the US, MFK will post full-page flashing banner announcements about it. Until then, ...EVERY live aro ad in the USA is a scam or a sting.
Sorry, but I was just reading this and wondering if they are all illegal to possess in the states how do places like public aquariums come to own these fish? Do they receive them from individuals who have had them seized from private collections or what? And how are they legally allowed to keep them?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
They're usually the result of law-enforcement seizures. Many asian aros in public aquariums are held until the end of smuggling trials. Then, they're disposed of. This is due to many public aquariums and research institutions not wishing to assume the costs involved with the permits. All permits require additional costs above the permit fee. Inspections, proper housing facilities (and containment), record-keeping and reporting, and renewal fees are all part of the permit process for keeping this species. Permits are only available to public aquariums and research institutions for public display and/or pre-approved bonafide research.

Reactions: Dee eng
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store