Big fishes that are ok with small fishes...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I tried to avoid recommending Discus for the lack of personality. They just hover in one spot and stare. I do like them for the color, but they require a lot of time and money.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I am going to be trying a chocolate cichlid after much research, you may consider one of them or uaru

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I am going to be trying a chocolate cichlid after much research, you may consider one of them or uaru
Chocolates are peaceful, so I see where you're coming from, but just like other cichlids, they will eat whatever fits in their mouth.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I had piranhas witha breeding colony of Endlers. Once the piranhas had reached 12'', they stopped bothering the small fish.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Iv seen plenty of large wolves kept with hundreds of tetras with minimal losses

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Firstly, I'm not recommending trying this, but its something to think about.

I had a geophagus brasiliensis that I'd raised over 5 years from around one inch to over a foot (33.5cm to be exact) and I always kept smaller fish with him. He lived with 2 silver dollars and a BGK about the same age as him (SD's maxed out at 6 and 8 inches respectively, BGK was about 11 inches when we lost her) and for a few months his tank was a temporary home for the 5 black widow tetras from my 50ltr when it leaked as well - none of them got eaten, Horrace (the geo) was over 10 inches at the time and Gwen (BGK) about the same. I was told by many people that I couldn't keep these fish together because the BGK would kill the silver dollars and the geo would harass the BGK and probably end up with a hole in his belly etc, and none of it ever happened, I never told anyone about the widows when they were in his tank as I couldn't be bothered listening to all the "your fish will eat your other fish" stuff when I knew my larger fish were all really laid back.

What I'm getting at is that if raised together in a calm, suitable environment from a young age you may be surprised with what fish will "tolerate" living together without killing each other. Also note that I always had a perspex separator on hand in case of fighting, but luckily I never needed it. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending throwing a muddle of fish in a tank and hoping it works, I'm saying if you must keep a muddle of fish together, its probably best to raise them together from a small size/young age. :)

Disclaimers disclaimer: I do not know everything, nor do I claim to. I'm just an average Joe sharing her experiences.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

o5b0rn3b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pittsburgh
I vote severums. There's always the chance you get an aggressive one. Just like the chocolate or uaru. Much better chances for you if you grow them out with all those tetras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store