Questions about Barred Midas

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
How did you like your hogaboomorum? Was it worth having?
Absolutely, very cool fish. He was about 13" and very thick, but I didn't really have many problems with him being too aggressive. He did eventually beat up my large lyonsi (pictured above), and I wanted to heal the lyonsi up so I sold him. Cool fish though, would be a good wet pet.

CaliFishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2017
Here's a pic of my Hoga
Since the LFS called it a flowerhorn, I have been doing a ton of research on flowerhorns and don't know much about bar midas. Are they messy eaters and need heavy filtration like flowerhorns? Thanks for the replies!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yep, care for an amphilophus and a flowerhorn are going to be very similar. Heavy filtration is always good, I try to over-filter every tank. Tankmates probably not going to work out in a 75g, maybe a bristlenose pleco for algae. Feed a staple of cichlid pellets (hikari, new life spectrum, southern delight all good) and you can give worms/frozen foods as a treat. Do a water change every week and you should be set. Pretty hardy, easy to care for fish, and very rewarding with their personality.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

CaliFishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2017
Yep, care for an amphilophus and a flowerhorn are going to be very similar. Heavy filtration is always good, I try to over-filter every tank. Tankmates probably not going to work out in a 75g, maybe a bristlenose pleco for algae. Feed a staple of cichlid pellets (hikari, new life spectrum, southern delight all good) and you can give worms/frozen foods as a treat. Do a water change every week and you should be set. Pretty hardy, easy to care for fish, and very rewarding with their personality.
Alright you convinced me, I'm going to pick him up after work. I have one pleco in each of my tanks right now but they are all only about 3 inches. Probably can't put one of those in with him right? I noticed that you had pebbles in your tank. I read that it's hard to clean the tanks with pebbles and it's better to keep it bare bottom. Do you agree with that? Thanks man, really appreciate it.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Alright you convinced me, I'm going to pick him up after work. I have one pleco in each of my tanks right now but they are all only about 3 inches. Probably can't put one of those in with him right? I noticed that you had pebbles in your tank. I read that it's hard to clean the tanks with pebbles and it's better to keep it bare bottom. Do you agree with that? Thanks man, really appreciate it.
no problem happy to help. He might not bother the pleco, or might try to eat it. I probably wouldn't risk it with a 3"er, 5" or so would have a better chance. I like to keep substrate in my tanks, doesn't really make it much more difficult to clean and the fish enjoy digging/moving it around. Plus it looks much better. My vote would be to put some gravel in there.

Reactions: CaliFishGuy

CaliFishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2017
no problem happy to help. He might not bother the pleco, or might try to eat it. I probably wouldn't risk it with a 3"er, 5" or so would have a better chance. I like to keep substrate in my tanks, doesn't really make it much more difficult to clean and the fish enjoy digging/moving it around. Plus it looks much better. My vote would be to put some gravel in there.

Thanks! If it doesn't make any difference then I'm definitely going to add gravel. It looks much better.

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Yeah he looked mean. He didn't like it when I pointed at him and started ramming the glass. I didn't think there would be any chance of introducing a tank mate, maybe a female? How did you like having one? I never had a fish that looked like he would could bite off my finger before.
I regret getting rid of him, He was extremely aggressive & would attack my hand when I preformed water changes, Amph's have great personality, I have two now that just spawned recently, In the process now of growing out the fry,

Reactions: CaliFishGuy

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I like a big old amphilophus, very rewarding fish to keep, just remember at that size alot of cichlids are big babies when it comes to being moved, it could take him a few weeks to start eating and couple of months to settle in and show his true personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store