Are fish flakes a good stable diet for a baby Bichir?

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
sigh.....alright. I thought I was so prepared this time lol So my temporary fix is this: (Prazi Pro on order from amazon prime) I've put up a tank divider and put the bichir's on their own side, this way I could remove the substrate out all together from their side. So now they are more or less on a bare bottom tank (I couldn't get every single piece of sand out). They both had eaten prior to the move, so I'll take that as good news. They both look stressed now from all the commotion :(
The permanent fix it this, buy another tank. Move out the red terror and JD into a bigger tank, and make this 40 gallon up just for the bichirs to grow up in. That way I can change the substrate out to sand and be done with it. So wish I would have known this before buying... Thank you for the continued help!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congrats on the new polys. If your treating for parasites better off with parasite gaurd theres another one but cant remember the name. Prazi pro from what i remember reading (on mfk) wasnt as good for internal parasites where as the parasite gaurd will treat for internal amd external.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Congrats on the new polys. If your treating for parasites better off with parasite gaurd theres another one but cant remember the name. Prazi pro from what i remember reading (on mfk) wasnt as good for internal parasites where as the parasite gaurd will treat for internal amd external.
would prazi 1st and then paraguard be a good treatment?

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
would prazi 1st and then paraguard be a good treatment?
I have paraguard on hand currently, but haven't used it...the prazi pro will be here Monday, Would it be advisable to dose the whole tank with paraguard now? The Bichirs ate readily again this morning and have been acting very comfortable so far today. *Big sigh of relief for me*
I'm picking up a 60 gallon tank today to move my JD and red terror into so they can grow some more, the 40 gallon tank will be just for the bichirs and my syno. cat (which my red terror has started picking on anyways). In case anyone is wondering, I've got 3 other established tanks so I should be able to do a jump start on the new tank and move my JD and RT over no problem. I'm thinking I'm gonna keep my tank bare bottom for now while these poly's are small, then if I can manage to keep them growing I can add in sand later. I'll post an update later tonight after I'm done setting things up.
P.S. if anyone has found a cure for MTS i'm all ears, this is getting out of control lol

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I have paraguard on hand currently, but haven't used it...the prazi pro will be here Monday, Would it be advisable to dose the whole tank with paraguard now? The Bichirs ate readily again this morning and have been acting very comfortable so far today. *Big sigh of relief for me*
I'm picking up a 60 gallon tank today to move my JD and red terror into so they can grow some more, the 40 gallon tank will be just for the bichirs and my syno. cat (which my red terror has started picking on anyways). In case anyone is wondering, I've got 3 other established tanks so I should be able to do a jump start on the new tank and move my JD and RT over no problem. I'm thinking I'm gonna keep my tank bare bottom for now while these poly's are small, then if I can manage to keep them growing I can add in sand later. I'll post an update later tonight after I'm done setting things up.
P.S. if anyone has found a cure for MTS i'm all ears, this is getting out of control lol
that's my question too: Prazi and/or Paraguard?
glad the bichirs are eating! that's cool that you are moving the fish around to grow them out.
also what does MTS mean?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Prazi for IP. Paragaurd is good for external. Since the issue will be lfs feeding and being CB. I would advise just salt and prazi once it gets there.

Wild caught should get qt and treated with meds right away. They will get parasites on out and inside. CB should always worry about internal parasites due to live feeding chances. But keep an eye out the outside.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Prazi for IP. Paragaurd is good for external. Since the issue will be lfs feeding and being CB. I would advise just salt and prazi once it gets there.

Wild caught should get qt and treated with meds right away. They will get parasites on out and inside. CB should always worry about internal parasites due to live feeding chances. But keep an eye out the outside.
thanks for the explanation! :)

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
alright, of course all my lfs has had are a bunch of ornates..They have been sitting around for a over a month now though so perhaps the ones that are left will be the 'hardier' ones? I'm half tempted to just go get another ornate because it's what is available right now.
the good thing is bichirs are some of the hardiest fish on the planet I had 2 ropefish go thru a shipping error and were in the same bag for 4 long days and they were fine

Thanks everyone! Random question, do ya'll see any issue with the substrate that I'm using? Just don't want them swallowing anything...
personally I use black diamond sand blasting abrasive it's like $8 for 50lbs

someone get that Teugelsi a racing jacket STAT!
safety 1st he needs a helmet

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Alrighty folks! Last night's tank shuffle went swimmingly ;)
Regarding the parasite treatment... the store owner is very reputable, and assured me they did absolutely no live feeding in the whole store, since these poly's have been in store for 2 months I'm fairly confident that they have no parasites. Still, they are CB poly's so as I mentioned earlier, I'll have the Prazi Pro in tomorrow and I can treat if it's still worth it.
Remember can still add prazi to the tank.
Would this still be advisable you think?

Here's the current situation:
The two poly's are now in a bare bottom tank, with just my shy little syno. cat. They all seem VERY relieved to have the red terror and JD out of their hair. I've still got both these little fellas eating off of the good heart stuff I got from the store owner. Also, I found tilapia, is it alright if it says 'farm raised' tilapia on the package? I don't see why not, but just checking to be safe.
Pics:

2017021995094332.jpg

20170219_094455.jpg

2017021795194022.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store