Dorado (Salminus) ID and Care Guide 1.1

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Stingrays, large catfish, arowanas have been known to comm with doradoes without much issue. I'd stay away from ATFs and other mid level active swimmers.
If I found brassies how many could I keep together in my 450 (8x3 footprint)?

The_blewit

Feeder Fish
Feb 19, 2017
Salminus affinis

General Info
Salminus affinis, the silver dorado, is a localized species of dorado from Ecuadorian rivers. This fish is almost unknown in the hobby. They do not achieve the same massive size as the golden dorados.​

Distribution
South America: Magdalena River basin and Santiago River basin in Ecuador.​

Diagnostic Traits for Hobbyists
-Easily identified by being the only member of the genus with a bifurcate tail
-Very shiny silvery flanks
-Red tail
-Often has a dark stripe posterior of the eye
-Grey stripes
-Caudal fin extension (point) absent

Academic Diagnostic Traits
Scale counts unavailable. Distinguished from congeners by the presence of a postorbital stripe, bifurcate tail and absence of a caudal extension (point). Facial bones and pelvic girdle silver or grey. Flanks silvery chrome and very shiney. Tail red.​

Size
In aquaria this species will likely not exceed eighteen inches. The world record fish was caught in 2009 by Alejandro Linares and was eleven pounds, zero ounces.​

View attachment 911099
The world record Salminus affinis
Hi Chicxulub, I live in Ecuador and love to fish. These are some examples of dorados i have caught in various tributarys of the Napo river. I am curious what exact species it might be as they seem to be too large to be classified as hilarii. Also curious if all salminus species are known to be migratory.Thanks!

dorado.jpg

dorado2.jpg

dorado3.jpg

dorado5.jpg

dorado4.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store