Dorado (Salminus) ID and Care Guide 1.1

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think frankie too. But chicx proved me wrong. Best way to tell is count the number of scales between his LL and dorsal fin.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
how do i count that? sorry if it was already mentioned before.
The scales between the lateral line and dorsal fin, or top fin, the lateral line is the row of scales the look white instead of silver I believe, count the scales going up to the dorsal fin and the first page compare numbers I'll show you an example thread.

asterophysus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Canada
[video]

Salminus brasiliensis is farmed too, in Argentina. Could their rarity in the hobby be attributed to something else? Maybe someone just needs to make the right contacts?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
[video]

Salminus brasiliensis is farmed too, in Argentina. Could their rarity in the hobby be attributed to something else? Maybe someone just needs to make the right contacts?
How do you know those are brassies? Importers, fisherman, vendors, stores, and hobbyist mislabel them all the time. Just curious to why you trust this video to have ID'd them correctly.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Stingrays, large catfish, arowanas have been known to comm with doradoes without much issue. I'd stay away from ATFs and other mid level active swimmers.

Reactions: celebrist

asterophysus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Canada
How do you know those are brassies? Importers, fisherman, vendors, stores, and hobbyist mislabel them all the time. Just curious to why you trust this video to have ID'd them correctly.
For sure, most people are clueless.

http://fishconsult.org/?page_id=12
Dr. Rahman El Gamal seems pretty qualified though.

I guess it's possible that someone would import a fish species from a warmer climate and different river system to raise in Argentina, while the native species that has adapted to the region is readily available for free. It's possible, but not probable IMO. You can believe what you want though.

I think maybe the pet tropical fish industry just isn't very big in Argentina and it isn't worth the trouble for exporters (only MonsterFishKeepers know the difference). If there is a large enough demand, Brassies will probably become more readily available.

All I know is, at my local trout farm, 6-8" Rainbows are $3 each (but you have to buy 400 of them). I imagine fingerlings are much cheaper. A motivated person could flood the market with cheap Dorado (brasiliensis or franciscus) -- but really, how much demand is there for this species?

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store