Dorado (Salminus) ID and Care Guide 1.1

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
from the pic it looks like brasiliensis I wonder what the aggression levels are of the hilarii and affins i'd love to have any of the species swimming in my tanks and one question about hilarii is it sometimes imported under the name of brycon hilarii because i've seen some of those for sale or is that an entirely different fish?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Sorry guys, not sure how I missed these comments.

Fantastic thread Rob. I have been very tempted in the past, but it may be time to take the plunge!
Thank you for the kind words! Salminus are awesome beautiful fish. I hope to have one someday!

Thanks for putting together this thread.

This is a fish that needs a big tank and a bit of planning. I have noticed several people on this site and a few hobbyists in Singapore that have kept dorados with other fish however my approx. 22inch/56 cm psycho has proven a killer of almost anything it wants to just as you suggested. It is in with many other fish but I also have found brycons to be some of the most suitable tankmates.

I find that my dorado has caused so much trouble in my 15kg/56kl that I might have to move it to a smaller tank in a few of weeks when I am emptying the 15kg/56kl to do some routine maintenance.
View attachment 922904
You're quite welcome sir. You have a very large dorado I might add. He's really nice. I'm guessing he's franciscanus? I can't tell for sure from the angle he's presented in the pic. These guys are amazingly dynamic predators.

from the pic it looks like brasiliensis I wonder what the aggression levels are of the hilarii and affins i'd love to have any of the species swimming in my tanks and one question about hilarii is it sometimes imported under the name of brycon hilarii because i've seen some of those for sale or is that an entirely different fish?

Brycon hilarii is a completely different fish, though they are quite similar in appearance. I could only speculate on the temperament of the two smaller species. There are anecdotal accounts of people having kept them, but I've not been able to find anything concrete on the subject.

my 17 inch golden dorado, it really is a beautiful fish.
View attachment 931283
Nice looking frankie! :thumbsup:

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
View attachment 949839I moved the dorado out of the 15kg/156kl and put it in a bare 180g/680l.This is just for a few more days till it goes into a bigger tank.
That's a bad fish man. If I thought there was any way I could get away with having some dorados, I would in a heartbeat. You're doing a great job with yours for sure.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I found this picture on google of a dorado, Does anyone have any idea which species of dorado this is?
Honestly I wouldn't know where to place that fish just from looking at a picture. If I was forced to guess, I'd say affinis, but it could possibly be franciscanus as well.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
These are the best pics I could get before hell broke loose...... :irked:

A Frankie and a Brassy swimming side by side. :nilly:

DSCN9952.JPG

DSCN9964.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member