Glass Thickness for New Aquarium.

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hello Guys,

I have a 16" Silver Arowana, Shortbody Flowerhorn, 2 Oscars, 4 Blood Parrot and few loaches in 150 Gallon tank. But as the fishes are growing up, I am planning to upgrade my aquarium to a 300 Gallon setup. The dimensions are 78 L X 30 W X 36 H. I asked my local fish store for the rough cost and they told me it will cost me around $1000 for the whole aquarium with 19 mm glass, sump and media, cabinet, stand, lights etc. Front glass will be extra clear and rest will be normal glass.

After finding out the cost I am rethinking about my ambitious plan to upgrade my tank as I am also thinking to just give away the big fishes. But I asked few more shopkeepers to be sure about the cost and few of them told me that for the tank size 12mm glass (non tempered) with strong bracing will be good enough. I am confused as the tank cost significantly reduces if I order 12mm glass but I dont want to compromise with the safety too, as I saw few tank busting videos on youtube recently.

Is it possible to use 12 mm glass (non tempered) for the dimensions mentioned above. Also if not then please suggest me any changes in dimensions so 12 mm glass can be used.

Regards,
Additya

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Hello Guys,

I have a 16" Silver Arowana, Shortbody Flowerhorn, 2 Oscars, 4 Blood Parrot and few loaches in 150 Gallon tank. But as the fishes are growing up, I am planning to upgrade my aquarium to a 300 Gallon setup. The dimensions are 78 L X 30 W X 36 H. I asked my local fish store for the rough cost and they told me it will cost me around $1000 for the whole aquarium with 19 mm glass, sump and media, cabinet, stand, lights etc. Front glass will be extra clear and rest will be normal glass.

After finding out the cost I am rethinking about my ambitious plan to upgrade my tank as I am also thinking to just give away the big fishes. But I asked few more shopkeepers to be sure about the cost and few of them told me that for the tank size 12mm glass (non tempered) with strong bracing will be good enough. I am confused as the tank cost significantly reduces if I order 12mm glass but I dont want to compromise with the safety too, as I saw few tank busting videos on youtube recently.

Is it possible to use 12 mm glass (non tempered) for the dimensions mentioned above. Also if not then please suggest me any changes in dimensions so 12 mm glass can be used.

Regards,
Additya
You could do 78" X 36 W X 26-30" H with 1/2"

Reactions: DN328 and Addi_13

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
$1000 for a 360 with starfire front is cheap. Especially with that 3/4" glass damn

Reactions: DN328

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
19mm for a 30" tall tank isn't great (the safety factor is only 2.7), but if it's extra well braced and new glass from a good glass maker, you will likely be fine. Typically, you'd want a 3.8 safety factor, to account for every reasonable deficiency, although many people have tanks that have worked with less. 22mm will get you a 3.8 safety factor.

I highly recommend you thicker, not go thinner at 36" height.

If you drop the height to 25", you will be able to use 12mm glass and get a 3.2 safety factor. Given that you already have a large aro, I'd recommend going wider or longer, or both, but shorter. An 84x42x25 or 78x42x25 would I think work better for your stock, give you the same water volume, but more swimming space for length and width.

From my observation, many people don't build past 24-26" in height for a variety of reasons: 1) cost; 2) difficult to work in the tank; 3) most fish don't need the extra height. Does this apply in your case? I don't know.

Again, just my thoughts which many people may dispute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addi_13

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
19mm for a 30" tall tank isn't great (the safety factor is only 2.7), but if it's extra well braced and new glass from a good glass maker, you will likely be fine. Typically, you'd want a 3.8 safety factor, to account for every reasonable deficiency, although many people have tanks that have worked with less. 22mm will get you a 3.8 safety factor.

I highly recommend you thicker, not go thinner at 36" height.

If you drop the height to 25", you will be able to use 12mm glass and get a 3.2 safety factor. Given that you already have a large aro, I'd recommend going wider or longer, or both, but shorter. An 84x42x25 or 78x42x25 would I think work better for your stock, give you the same water volume, but more swimming space for length and width.

From my observation, many people don't build past 24-26" in height for a variety of reasons: 1) cost; 2) difficult to work in the tank; 3) most fish don't need the extra height. Does this apply in your case? I don't know.

Again, just my thoughts which many people may dispute.
Thank you Drstrangelove for helping out. Yes I am getting a new glass and I don't need to order it, it will be done by the LFS guy itself. Btw I told my LFS that I only want 27" tall aquarium as that will be easier for me to maintain and do water changes but he is adamant to the fact that He will need atleast 6" space for bracing to make it extra protected, I can't argue with him otherwise he tells me there can be safety issues.

My plan was to only go for 78L x 30W x 27 H. I can't increase the length due to space and don't want to increase the depth too much. So I am planning 78L X 34W X 25-27 H with 12 mm glass with good braceing.

Regards,
Additya

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Update:

Guys I am planning 78 L X 30 W X 30 H with 12 mm "Tempered" glass with 19 mm bracing. Is there any problems with tempering the aquarium glass. Also in 30" Height, 6" will be used for bracing and support. Please suggest and advise.

Regards,
Additya

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You won't be able to drill tempered glass, so unless the builder has it drilled for you prior to it being tempered, you won't ever be able to run an overflow.

Reactions: Addi_13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store