How come there isn't a forum on predatory Haplochromis?

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Just wondering why there is no topic on Predatory Haplochromis like Venustus, Livingstoni, Malawi Hawk, Malawi Barracuda, Trout fish like that?

Reactions: tlindsey

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Not as much demand...since not everyone has a six to eight foot tank. And the husbandry for them is not all that much different than the other Malawi haps.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There doesn't seem to be very many keepers of African cichlids here let alone Malawai predators in particular.
I have kept a few such as Champsochromis,Nimbochromis,Tyranochromis among others in the past.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
There doesn't seem to be very many keepers of African cichlids here let alone Malawai predators in particular.
I have kept a few such as Champsochromis,Nimbochromis,Tyranochromis among others in the past.
Wow love the fish you listed, kind of ashame. I ask cause I have some predatory Haps mixed with my CA/SA Cichlids.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wow love the fish you listed, kind of ashame. I ask cause I have some predatory Haps mixed with my CA/SA Cichlids.
The Champsochromis is my all time favorite Malawai cichlid....which ones do you have?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I keep several species of Peacocks and smaller Haps and am working on getting more male predators. Looking for these guys, but a guaranteed male is hard to come by :(
Buccochromis leptrus
Buccochromis heterotaenia
Buccochromis spectabilis
Exochochromis anygenys
Dimidiochromis kiwinge
Dimidiochromis strigatus
Lichnochromis acuticeps
Tyrannochromis nigriventer south
Tyrannochromis maculiceps
Tyrannochromis macrostoma
Tyrannochromis nigriventer north

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Right now I have a male Buccochromis nototaenia, Buccochromis rhoadesii, Champsochromis caeruleus, Aristochromis christyi, Chilotilapia rhoadesii, Nimbochromis venustus, Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus, Placidochromis milomo

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
The Champsochromis is my all time favorite Malawai cichlid....which ones do you have?
As of right now I have Venustus, Livingstoni, Compressiceps, and I know it is not a Hap but he got surprisingly large-8 inches a Pseudotropheus Crabro, I have had others before, but those are the current ones I have
I want to get a Malawi Hawk and Malawi Gar, but saving up.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
I keep several species of Peacocks and smaller Haps and am working on getting more male predators. Looking for these guys, but a guaranteed male is hard to come by :(
Buccochromis leptrus
Buccochromis heterotaenia
Buccochromis spectabilis
Exochochromis anygenys
Dimidiochromis kiwinge
Dimidiochromis strigatus
Lichnochromis acuticeps
Tyrannochromis nigriventer south
Tyrannochromis maculiceps
Tyrannochromis macrostoma
Tyrannochromis nigriventer north
How were able to get so many Tyrannochromis? LFS in my city have no idea what I am talking about and I hardly see them on the internet.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How were able to get so many Tyrannochromis? LFS in my city have no idea what I am talking about and I hardly see them on the internet.
A few years ago there was a shop here that was really big on Africans and they brought in some very hard to find species such as Gnathochromis permaxilaris and Rhamphochromis.On any given day there was no telling what you might find in there but they went the wannabe Petsmart route and stopped stocking most rare stuff.
You can order a lot of rare species from sites like Dave's Rare Fish if your local shops won't bring them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store