Water is slightly hazy...slightly

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Forgive me if this is in the wring area..if so please move. I'm writing hear as it is a cichlid tank and I really couldnt find a straight answer. First off. My tank , 75 gallon, is stocked with a juv JD and convict, 2 4 inch hrp, 2 inch JD, 2 FM. I have a sunsun 304b canister with following items from bottom tray to top....bottom ..course foam filter, next tray,..polyfil, next tray filled with matrix and next tray filled w lava rock. I also have a aquaclear 110 w the course foam filter, polyfil then the bio media the AQ comes with. One more filter is a aqueon 20 which I have a sponge filter on the inlet pipe, and then inside is filled w lava rock and pothos plants.

My question is my water is slightly, slightly hazy. Most anyone would say looks great. It does but I have had it look like no water at all. With the light off at night .. Looking from the long end it looks clear, from the front clear...turn the lights on and it just is off somehow. My api test kit is amm is 0 trites...0...grates about 30-40.... Phosphate measures between 0 to .25. More to the 0 end. Water changes about 59-55% 2x a week treated w prime. I can get pics tonight ....but does anyone one have any thoughts. getting super frustrated

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
What kind of substrate do you have?
Could it be the fish digging or stirring up the substrate.
Do you believe it may be bacterial or just fine particulate in the water?
Have you changed what you feed? Are the fish eating it all when you do feed?
Your water change schedule is sufficient, but is the water you use clear?
Sorry for all the question trying to help track down the problem

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
No not a problem. I am using course black diamond for my sub. They dig underneath the rocks to make their homes but not crazy digging. In all honesty I'm not sure on bact or fine part. I've tested the water and as far as I can tell all parameters are in check. I thought it may be Phosphate that's why I checked last night and was thinking it would be high but that came back good. I started some diy food but this problem has been here before I added the diy food. I try to keep up on just quick suction of poop and waste around even on non water changing times. Not everyday but somewhat often. Most of the fish have been super shy for some time now. So I feed, walk way away and wait for them to come and scavenge. I only drop a few prices at a time to make sure there isn't all the food just collecting around. Fill water is good. PH I think a little above 7 and tank as well. The cloudiness just came maybe a few weeks ago.... Before that minus the diatoms it was clear. My only hmmm thought is lighting. Run w me. Before I had a 2 26 watt CFLs .... They were getting old and not superb right so I added some diy led lighting and removed the CFLs. LEDs are not good as the are dim. So that's when I really noticed the haze. Today I added shop lights and removed the LEDs and still it has that haze to it. Like I said any non fish person would say looks good but to me it looks like a vehicle that needs a wax to it. Looks good but I know It can and has been better

PS. I don't think part as my substrate is somewhat heavy. Meaning if I rough it up it falls back down. Not really and dusty or very light pieces to stay afloat. The only 2 fish I see is the juv con and JD. The seem not to scare. My FM's and hrp are wimps. They see me and head for the rocks

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Well if all parameters are okay and your not dealing with a bacterial problem then I can only think of two things you could do. Add some sort of extra fine sponge or filtering media or and some activate carbon. I myself don't like running carbon but it will make your water nice and crisp looking.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with the above but you have more than adequate filtration. How do you maintain the filters? Do you alternate rinsing the sponges etc.?

Reactions: Jeff5347

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
OK so I was thinking of what I could have done and something came to my mind that I need to see if this may be the cause. I was just at the tank, lights out and thinking its super clear. Turn on the light for a sec and still that haze. So I started thinking ..am I over filtered ( couldn't be) under filtered ( I think I'm over filtered)... Then I thought.....I added the ac110 a month ago....it has (at least what I was thinking at the time) established bacteria. The addition of the lava rock and matrix in the sunsun was added a little under a week ago. Previous to that in 2 of the 4 baskets was blue spike like bio balls and pot scrubbers. I wanted to add the lava and matrix to give better/ more bio filtration. I removed the bio balls and scrubbers ( yes all at the same time:eek:) thinking the AC is cultured enough to help the new media get their legs so to speak. Could I have caused a mini cycle? Is the tank over producing Heterotrophic bacteria to try and catch up?

And yes when cleaning I alternate the cleaning times of the filter as to not do them at the same time

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
OK so I was thinking of what I could have done and something came to my mind that I need to see if this may be the cause. I was just at the tank, lights out and thinking its super clear. Turn on the light for a sec and still that haze. So I started thinking ..am I over filtered ( couldn't be) under filtered ( I think I'm over filtered)... Then I thought.....I added the ac110 a month ago....it has (at least what I was thinking at the time) established bacteria. The addition of the lava rock and matrix in the sunsun was added a little under a week ago. Previous to that in 2 of the 4 baskets was blue spike like bio balls and pot scrubbers. I wanted to add the lava and matrix to give better/ more bio filtration. I removed the bio balls and scrubbers ( yes all at the same time:eek:) thinking the AC is cultured enough to help the new media get their legs so to speak. Could I have caused a mini cycle? Is the tank over producing Heterotrophic bacteria to try and catch up?

And yes when cleaning I alternate the cleaning times of the filter as to not do them at the same time
Yes your correct about the mini cycle. Tbh I don't know about the Heterotrophic bacteria but I think you will be back to crystal clear water in no time.

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
OK ..pheww. Question. Should I do light changes...maybe 20% ..of water changes a day or is the 50% 2x a week good. My min in 1x a week if I'm busy and 2 preferably. With this being a mini cycle is 2 still the go to or is everyday better. Also I have stress zyme+. Should I use some of that to help it along or just let nature take it course

I watched this video and this is exactly how my tank looks in water quality

Also thank you for the help. I literally was going nuts thinking what I did. At least now I know

Reactions: tlindsey

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Forgot to ask. Would this show effects in the fish like I stated about hiding. Would a mini cycle mess with them

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
OK ..pheww. Question. Should I do light changes...maybe 20% ..of water changes a day or is the 50% 2x a week good. My min in 1x a week if I'm busy and 2 preferably. With this being a mini cycle is 2 still the go to or is everyday better. Also I have stress zyme+. Should I use some of that to help it along or just let nature take it course

I watched this video and this is exactly how my tank looks in water quality

Also thank you for the help. I literally was going nuts thinking what I did. At least now I know

I personally would stick to your wc routine and stick with works out for you and your schedule but stay consistent. Never used stress zyme but know its been around for years probably wouldn't hurt but your prime is really all you need imo.

Reactions: Jeff5347
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store