Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Alvintyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2017
It's not overstocked, literally every fish in that tank is too big for that tank! Maybe the snakeheads but then I've never seen one in person being that they're illegal here.
Huh? EVERY fish is too big for my 522 130gallon?
What kinda tank would I need then...

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You need to be looking at fish that get no bigger than 12 inches for a tank that size and then I feel it would be a bit limited for more than one.
Did you not know what size your fish would reach as adults?
I would have a re think and ask on the forum about species that interest you.
It could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
What kinda tank would I need then...
Hello; Another way to frame the question might be what can you keep in the 130 without future issues seeing as you already have that tank.
If you have the place to put them and the funds to get much bigger tanks then you can do that and keep much of your current stock as they grow. While money is necessary, a place with the space and floor capacity to handle the weight is critical.

I can imagine that you are questioning to some degree how seriously to take the advice given in this thread already. I am not in a position to nay say those who have experience with the specific species you currently have as I have not kept all of them myself. I have over several decades gone to much lighter stocking densities in my tanks. Are the suggestions a ways beyond some theoretical minimum? Perhaps. You get to run your tanks any way you wish and if you continue with the current setup please keep us up to date on how it is going.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Here's my take on this:
  • RGT can reach 36" long, probably won't get over 24" long though
  • Snakeheads can reach about 24" long, maybe a bit bigger
  • PBass can reach about 30" long, maybe a bit bigger
  • Bichirs can reach 30" long, probably won't get over 24" long though
  • Motoro Ray can reach 36" wide, probably will top out at a little over 24" wide though
  • Koi depend on the strain - most top out at around 15" long but some strains can reach 36"
Now, the only fish out of your list that I have personally kept would be the koi - however I've researched keeping monster fish extensively, and my personal views on tank sizes would be:
  • A single adult RGT deserves a tank with an 8x3 footprint
  • A pair of adult emperor snakeheads deserves a tank with an 8x3 footprint, as well
  • A pair of adult mono pbass deserves a tank with at least an 8x4 footprint and preferably larger
  • A pair of adult endlicheri bichirs deserves a 5x2 footprint at least
  • A single adult motoro ray deserves a footprint of 10x4
  • A trio of adult koi deserves AT LEAST a tank with an 8x3 footprint, but would be better suited in a 500+ gallon pond
A lot of people will see my views on fish-keeping as a bit odd, but I would prefer to give the fish as much space as I could - and if I didn't feel that I could give the fish sufficient space, I wouldn't keep it. That being said, your tank is overstocked by quite a bit. Drstrangelove's calculator is an awesome tool, hopefully he doesn't mind me saving it to use at some point.

In your 5x2x2, the two endlicheris would be able to stay, but that's about it, in the long run. If you wanted to keep all of the fish - my personal opinion would be to move everything into a tank with a 10x4 footprint, save for the koi - either build them a pond or relocate them to somebody who does. For three "normal" koi, a 500 gallon unfiltered pond would likely be fine.

Just my personal opinion - take it with a grain of salt as I haven't actually kept most of the fish you're talking about. But these are my beliefs on keeping monster fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store