MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Here's my take on this:
  • RGT can reach 36" long, probably won't get over 24" long though
  • Snakeheads can reach about 24" long, maybe a bit bigger
  • PBass can reach about 30" long, maybe a bit bigger
  • Bichirs can reach 30" long, probably won't get over 24" long though
  • Motoro Ray can reach 36" wide, probably will top out at a little over 24" wide though
  • Koi depend on the strain - most top out at around 15" long but some strains can reach 36"
Now, the only fish out of your list that I have personally kept would be the koi - however I've researched keeping monster fish extensively, and my personal views on tank sizes would be:
  • A single adult RGT deserves a tank with an 8x3 footprint
  • A pair of adult emperor snakeheads deserves a tank with an 8x3 footprint, as well
  • A pair of adult mono pbass deserves a tank with at least an 8x4 footprint and preferably larger
  • A pair of adult endlicheri bichirs deserves a 5x2 footprint at least
  • A single adult motoro ray deserves a footprint of 10x4
  • A trio of adult koi deserves AT LEAST a tank with an 8x3 footprint, but would be better suited in a 500+ gallon pond
A lot of people will see my views on fish-keeping as a bit odd, but I would prefer to give the fish as much space as I could - and if I didn't feel that I could give the fish sufficient space, I wouldn't keep it. That being said, your tank is overstocked by quite a bit. Drstrangelove's calculator is an awesome tool, hopefully he doesn't mind me saving it to use at some point.

In your 5x2x2, the two endlicheris would be able to stay, but that's about it, in the long run. If you wanted to keep all of the fish - my personal opinion would be to move everything into a tank with a 10x4 footprint, save for the koi - either build them a pond or relocate them to somebody who does. For three "normal" koi, a 500 gallon unfiltered pond would likely be fine.

Just my personal opinion - take it with a grain of salt as I haven't actually kept most of the fish you're talking about. But these are my beliefs on keeping monster fish.
+1 I share your views on considerate stocking.

Alvintyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2017
Thanks to all for the suggestions and input. I will continue with my setup for now but will slowly reduce stock.

Firstly, For the 3 koi, I would take them back to my LFS as I only used them for cycling my tank

I would most probably keep the Arowana and the snakeheads then relocate the peacock bass, bichirs and the ray.

Even though I disagree with some of the suggestions, I appreciate all of them

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Well good luck anyway. Hope things work out. Your best tool may be water changes (WC). May need a lot of WC. The frequency and volume of the WC may be partly determined by the test kit results.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Well, be aware - that sooner or later these fish will more than likely outgrow your tank. Be prepared to do lots of water changes, and run pothos and heavy filtration for best results.

On another note, how much did you pay for your arowana? Doesn't it seem like a waste to keep such an expensive fish in a tank that's unsuitable for it?

Alvintyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2017
Paid 70SGD. Which is like 50USD. Arowanas are cheap where I live and most people keep them in a 5ft tank or more , 4ft minimum.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Paid 70SGD. Which is like 50USD. Arowanas are cheap where I live and most people keep them in a 5ft tank or more , 4ft minimum.
Hmm. Well anyone in the US values this fish highly, because they are illegal to own. Although I am not saying that just because the fish are cheap, they should receive subpar care. In the end it's your tank and you can do as you please with it, but why ask for advice if you're not going to take it?

Alvintyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2017
Umm...did I say I was not taking any advice?
Obviously I disagree with some of the advices but I do listen to some.
Read the earlier posts please.

Reactions: J. H.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Umm...did I say I was not taking any advice?
Obviously I disagree with some of the advices but I do listen to some.
Read the earlier posts please.
You asked for advice of what's best for your fish, and it was given to you by myself and plenty of experienced fishkeepers. You went through and cherrypicked what advice worked out for what you wanted, not what worked out for the fish.

Ever heard the saying "beating a one-legged man in a race isn't that impressive"? That kinda applies here. Your tank was terribly overstocked to begin with, just because you took out a few of the fish doesn't mean it's much better.
-Drew

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store