Is my tank overcrowded?

Alvintyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2017
Hi , I have a 5.2.2 ft tank, 130 gallons.

I have a 18" RTG.
2x 12" maru snakehead
2x 8" monoculus peacock bass
2x 7" endlicheri bichir
A 10" Motoro ray
And 3x 5" koi that I used to cycle tank.

Is it overcrowded?
I can't put links as it is my first post.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Welcome to the forum. Your first post and you have started with one of the more debated questions on the forum. My prediction is a few will call your tank overstocked. I also figure there are many with even more dense stocking.

Here is my current standard. A tank is overstocked if the fish cannot survive a power outage of two or three days with no added procedures. Just let it sit as in being away for a weekend.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Hello; Welcome to the forum. Your first post and you have started with one of the more debated questions on the forum. My prediction is a few will call your tank overstocked. I also figure there are many with even more dense stocking.

Here is my current standard. A tank is overstocked if the fish cannot survive a power outage of two or three days with no added procedures. Just let it sit as in being away for a weekend.
100% agree with this. Those dimensions are for a 150 gallon tank. In my opinion the 18" RTG maxes out the tank by itself, but I am very conservative. Are you testing your water for nitrate accumulation, and how often do you perform water changes?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yes it's far over stocked.

By my calculations you are adding 133 ppm of nitrate per week. So if you are doing a 100% water change with 0 ppm nitrate water, then the fish are being kept in 76-133 ppm nitrate at least 3 days per week.

If you are doing a 75% WC, then they on average they are living in 125 ppm nitrate all the time.

Over stocked.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I have my tank for about a month now
Hello; Eventually someone is going to ask about the tank being cycled or not, so I will go ahead and be the first. If it is cycled that will be good to know as it can be left out of the discussion.

In my opinion the 18" RTG maxes out the tank by itself,
Hello; I sort of suspected the RTG either is or will be more than enough but I have not tried to keep them so can not say from experience.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store