How to convince parents to get another aquarium

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
What's your filter setup to keep 5 goldfish in a 29 gallon?
How should I show them I'm learning biology? And isn't the livestock in a aquarium one of the most important factors in having a healthy and thriving aquarium? I don't think a topfin 20 filter will have enough gph for 2 common goldfish.
Goldfish can be a challenge to keep because they do not have a true stomach. Their anatomy is the product of evolutionary forces pushing them toward a grazing lifestyle where they constantly eat a low quality food. It is for this reason that goldfish keepers often fed their fish multiple times per day, causing the fish to produce waste (ammonia is the worrying part of the waste) all day long. In my opinion, feeding multiple times per day is not necessary so long as you feed them a high quality food designed for their needs (easily digestible). So, you will want not-the-cheapest goldfish food that petsmart sells.

In our 29 gallon tank we have 5x 2" fancy goldfish. It is running with a hang-on-the-back filter, similar to the topfin filter you have. I cannot remember the last time I changed the filter cartridge, or if there is a filter cartridge in the filter, for that matter. The key to success in a goldfish tank is 1) controlling excess nutrients in the water and 2) promoting a healthy colony of nitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. I'm sure others can chime in with some advice on how to best accomplish these goals in your case... just ask :)

You are right that 2 common goldfish will not work in a 20 gallon tank, but when they are small, it will work fine. In my case, I'll have to upgrade my tank if the goldfish continue to grow. In my experience, the fancy goldfish that are sold in the chain stores do not live long enough (3-4 years) due to all of the selective breeding that they have been subjected to, so I'm probably not going to need an upgrade. Fancy goldfish from a good breeder would be a different story, as are your common goldfish. They will eventually need a bigger tank if you are successful in learning to keep them. The good news is that it's usually easy to unload big goldfish because people like to put them in their ponds.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
What's your filter setup to keep 5 goldfish in a 29 gallon?
I'm going to answer this question more thoroughly by showing you how our tank works. This is what it looks like during the day. It is in a bright room that gets lots of indirect light from outside, perfect for growing "stuff" in the tank while not letting the temperature get too high.
20170614_153020.jpg The lights are on a timer that come on in the evening and stay on until we go to bed... basically the lights are on when we are around to enjoy the tank, but not other times. I turned the lights on during the day so I could take some pictures. Apologies for all the glare, but it comes with the territory in a sunny room and taking pictures during the day.
20170614_162034.jpg

This tank was setup because we wanted our cats to continue to enjoy a fish tank (they are not allowed in our fish room), so we have surrounded the tank with things for cats to perch on and chosen a fish (goldfish) that are oblivious to the threat of a cat nose right up to the glass. The first thing you will notice about this tank is that the water level is low. This is intentional. The low water level slows down the water flow from the filter by forcing the filter to pull the water up a great distance, allowing the water flowing through the filter to "fall" out of the filter rather than "flow" out of the filter. This setup provides some aeration, little flow to disrupt the fish, but virtually no mechanical filtration. As you can see, it's gross, by design:
20170614_161847.jpg
The other reason we keep the water level low is to allow the surface of the water to be exposed to the light from outside. The low flow, lack of mechanical filtration, and light from outside produce this mat of algae on the surface:
20170614_161912.jpg
Underneath the mat is an Anubias plant that provided the original structure at the surface for the algae mat to grow. This is what is under the algae mat:
20170614_161925.jpg
The Anubias plant is well covered with epiphytic algae and is probably not photosynthesizing very well as a result, but it is a low-light tolerant plant in the corner nearest the window, so it continues to chug along. On the bottom left is a cool plant called Süsswassertang... again growing in the corner nearest the window, in this case below the Anubias. Throughout the tank, on all the decorations is a scum of "stuff". The "stuff" is a thriving microbial community that helps to process waste from the fish and is full of all sorts of critters ranging from algae to bacteria to protists. There are some non-fish animals running around in the tank as well; there are benthic crustaceans like snails and I suspect, planktonic crustaceans like water fleas.

20170614_161905.jpg
The "gunk" helps to keep this a healthy tank for the fish. This is a very low maintenance setup. It gets 50% water changes every two weeks and is fed goldfish flake once a day. The goldfish's diet is supplemented by being able to "graze" on all the "stuff" growing in the tank. This is only an example of how to successfully keep goldfish, not the only way. We understand the larger biological picture of what is going on this tank, and don't mind the "stuff" growing in it... we like it actually. So, what looks like a hot mess to others, is in fact a fun tank for our cats that contains a complex biological community and some happy goldfish (that are all more like 3" now!):
20170614_161935.jpg

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Pretty cool! My nitrites and nitrates are really high so I'll get some plants and a sponge filter. What about duckweed? I heard it grows real quick but goldfish might eat it all?

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I've never tried duckweed WITH goldfish. I have seen duckweed integrated into pond filtration systems though. Not sure how it will work if the goldfish are allowed to eat the duckweed.

I should also point out that our tank looks dirty, but it is not full of waste. We do water changes and gravel vac. There's a difference between neglect and keeping what amounts to a tiny indoor pond.

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hey, you sure that tank isn't too small grinch? Although I do like the idea for the cats.

Reactions: Grinch

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Hey, you sure that tank isn't too small grinch? Although I do like the idea for the cats.
The cats watch this tank and bichir-girl feeds it... I pay very little attention to it unless I'm told there is a problem. In looking at it today, the fish are bigger than I thought they were AND I discovered a 6th goldfish in the tank. Bichir-girl has subsequently confessed to adding another fish and is mortified I posted pictures of her cat's tank without cleaning the algae on the glass. So yes, I think we're about due for a tank upgrade or a fish reduction. Let the fight with Bichir-girl commence! LOL

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hey, so, i have a ten gallon with one goldfish and one pepper cory, I plan on getting him more buddies if my plan goes well, my plan is to convince my parents to let me get a twenty once I have enough money... How could I do this, any tips?

I care for my goldfish hardcore mode... I change the water as well as vacuum the poop at the same time, change filter cartridges whenever need, and feed only when needed.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Hey, so, i have a ten gallon with one goldfish and one pepper cory, I plan on getting him more buddies if my plan goes well, my plan is to convince my parents to let me get a twenty once I have enough money... How could I do this, any tips?

I care for my goldfish hardcore mode... I change the water as well as vacuum the poop at the same time, change filter cartridges whenever need, and feed only when needed.
I don't want to hijack the OP's thread... make your own thread and see what folks have to say? :)

Forum ninja tip, post pictures and you'll get more interest.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Your not supposed to change the filter cartidge. Your supposed to rinse it out with the old water during a water change.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store