How to convince parents to get another aquarium

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Hey, so there are 2 goldfish in the 20 gallon my parents got for me uncycled. I'd just like to tell you all that I didn't want to get the goldfish. The employee told them they need a 20 gallon at least for one but they were like it's okay if it lives for a few weeks. I'm not even kidding.y parents got the goldfish way before I got the aquarium like 4 months before. My dad guilt tripped me into putting them in there. I should have not given in looking back. According to the employee at petsmart I have really high nitrites and nitrates so I got a bacteria supplement (can't hurt right?). I did 2 water changes 1 on friday and saturday. I tried to convince my dad that you need to cycle it but he and my mom were like I can say anything on the internet. Than they lectured ME on how not to believe everything you read on the internet like I said that you can make a million dollars by buying a stock or something. I said they don't have a reason to lie. Eventually, I acted like I believed them and I learned my lesson. I told my dad they grow over to a FOOT long and he just said okay. And I can't return or give them to the store (too late). So what should I tell them? I'm 13 if that helps.

Last edited:

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Tell them you are thinking about doing drugs, but a 75 gallon tank would keep you clean?

LOL... probably shouldn't do that.

Take them back to the store in a bucket. You won't get your money back, but they'll take them off your hands. If you can, take them to a petco rather than a petsmart... petcos sometimes have "adoption" fish from people in your situation.

Encourage your parents to do their homework next time. Props to you for doing YOUR homework on how to take care of these fish and realizing that the deck is stacked against you in this case.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
If they won't take them what should I do? my parents see fish as something cheap and replaceable not a animal with feelings so they won't do their research :( .

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
If you show up with a couple goldfish in a bucket and explain that your parents are knuckle-heads, they'll take them, but don't expect any money back. Most petsmarts have a quarantine room in the back... if they follow the rules, they'll put them in QT for a week and put them into their inventory for sale.

Is this your first fish tank? What kind of fish did you want?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I would keep them for a month till your tank is fully cycled then return them and get fish for your 20 gal
Like maybe guppies and smaller tetras :)

Reactions: tlindsey

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
First aquarium and I wanted a tropical community with mollies,guppies, and platys or a convict cichlid (male).

Reactions: GamerChick5567

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
First aquarium and I wanted a tropical community with mollies,guppies, and platys or a convict cichlid (male).

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
A single convict or a group of livebearers would likely be easier in a 20g. As indicated above, you could use the goldfish to establish the tank, or take them back and cycle the tank in other ways.

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Just use the goldfish to cycle your tank.

As far as getting rid of them and getting the fish you really want. I'm not sure how you can do that without your parents knowledge unless you have a petco/petsmart in walking (carrying a bucket) distance from your home.

Instead of telling them how WRONG they are because goldfish get too big for your tank, just tell them, there's a specific, cheap fish that you really want (Convict cichlid). I would definately recommend a one convict compared to a community of livebearers.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Good idea! I think the convicts are about 8 dollars at the local petsmart. I read that some convicts don't like being alone though. Is that true? Also my dad said I couldn't get any other fish even though I offered to pay for it all by myself. Any ideas to convince him otherwise?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store