How to convince parents to get another aquarium

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Maybe you should send your parents to this forum for some educating on fish husbandry...

I know this is not the first time we've had forum members around your age with similar problems and based on past observations, it will take a lot of effort to convince them.

Either that, or you'll need to wait till your're old enough to move into your own place and do as you please unfortunately....

Best of luck regardless and hope you get to setup your dream tank sooner than later..

Reactions: GamerChick5567

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
they're very common
the electric blue variety is everywhere now
there's also rams that are slightly smaller- both you will find at the conglomerates.
Off species subject but an indian dwarf puffer stays small enough that you could actually grow your own food for it- guppy babies, mud snails, mosquito larvae, daphnia ect. the box stores get do them sometimes but don't forget if you don't see what you're looking for ask one of the employees they'll usually order it for you
also
-it took my dad almost a year to realize I set up a new tank in my room ;) just throwing that out there

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
they're very common
the electric blue variety is everywhere now
there's also rams that are slightly smaller- both you will find at the conglomerates.
Off species subject but an indian dwarf puffer stays small enough that you could actually grow your own food for it- guppy babies, mud snails, mosquito larvae, daphnia ect. the box stores get do them sometimes but don't forget if you don't see what you're looking for ask one of the employees they'll usually order it for you
also
-it took my dad almost a year to realize I set up a new tank in my room ;) just throwing that out there

Reactions: imabot

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Your parents may want to see that you have your 20 gallon waay under control and stable before they do anything. May have to keep what you have, get through cycling, working out bugs, and a little more research first, then they may be more open to ideas.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
True that, if they honestly believe a goldfish will only live for like a month, prove em wrong and keep them alive for a long time. Goldfish will easily live past 10 years.... if your parents want to dig a pond go for it haha.

I would not feed them every day though, to keep the growth rate a little slower and the toxins down. They may end up stunted in that tank though.

Also, maybe the library might have some more updated books that you can rent. I'd ask the librarian at school or at the public one. Your parents just might not be to trusting of the internet or that up to date on technology so a book may help them.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I'll find some books and start feeding them every other day then. They don't really know about the ammonia cycle and my mom thinks you can just setup a aquarium and throw fish in there.
FriedFlowerHornFillet do you mean that I can split the tank into half and breed guppies and snails in there? FMA4ME, they don't really understand cycling and ammonia nitrites and nitrates and basically anything about aquariums.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'll find some books and start feeding them every other day then. They don't really know about the ammonia cycle and my mom thinks you can just setup a aquarium and throw fish in there.
FriedFlowerHornFillet do you mean that I can split the tank into half and breed guppies and snails in there? FMA4ME, they don't really understand cycling and ammonia nitrites and nitrates and basically anything about aquariums.
Sound the same for most parents out there, all LFS love these types of Parents LOL
Like my dad, he will talk like a pro about keeping fishes BASE on how he keeping a damn Betta fish in a cup, when I got fed up and pinned point out the cycling thing stuff then he just replied "I don't know or I don't know about that type of fish...etc!", I just told him stop giving out advises or comments if you don't know about that damn thing!

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Sound the same for most parents out there, all LFS love these types of Parents LOL
Like my dad, he will talk like a pro about keeping fishes BASE on how he keeping a damn Betta fish in a cup, when I got fed up and pinned point out the cycling thing stuff then he just replied "I don't know or I don't know about that type of fish...etc!", I just told him stop giving out advises or comments if you don't know about that damn thing!
If you don't know something VERY basic about aquarium keeping you shouldn't have a aquarium in the first place! I mean it's like saying you don't need a doctor because you can put a band aid on yourself.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
If you get something like the typical "pest ramshorn" snails they will breed on their own as long as they have a food supply, that can be algae, cucumbers (they love those) or just fish food. They do grow pretty quickly too and they will keep your glass super clean from any diatoms or regular green algae. The guppies should be fine with them even without a divider. Only time they will ever attack a snail is if you smoosh one in front of them. For the guppies, or pretty much any common livebearer, you want more females than males. Try 1 male to 3 females, it will keep aggression down.

Also I agree, if you have an aquarium and aren't willing to at least do the basic care and LEARN basic things then yea, shouldn't get one. Same with people who have really poorly taken care of dogs or cats or whatever.

Reactions: imabot

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
If you get something like the typical "pest ramshorn" snails they will breed on their own as long as they have a food supply, that can be algae, cucumbers (they love those) or just fish food. They do grow pretty quickly too and they will keep your glass super clean from any diatoms or regular green algae. The guppies should be fine with them even without a divider. Only time they will ever attack a snail is if you smoosh one in front of them. For the guppies, or pretty much any common livebearer, you want more females than males. Try 1 male to 3 females, it will keep aggression down.

Also I agree, if you have an aquarium and aren't willing to at least do the basic care and LEARN basic things then yea, shouldn't get one. Same with people who have really poorly taken care of dogs or cats or whatever.
I meant like dwarf puffer in 1 half and guppies and snails in the other. I heard guppies breed real fast and kill their own fry so I might just get snails and leave it un divided and let the population build up before putting in the dwarf puffer.

Also you should get a robot pet or plant if you aren't going to take care of your pet. Stop abusing the poor animal and don't be a jerk!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store