What is your experience with fire eels and rays?

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I've seen video of ray going to town on Asian arowana
Ya I saw that video also. The are easily swam away, but a hungry ray may try to jump on anything lol. Eels also can get away rather easily ÷)

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
the rays will try eat anything they can catch, including arowana and fire eels. my old one used to turn up with bite marks on now and again but i would put them together and im currently looking for a few to grow on to eventually put with my rays again.

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
I had a good experience with my flower and eel. Should be fine as long as the ray cant fit the eel in it's mouth. A log or some shelter for the eel will help keep it out of harms way.

Last edited:

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
That's a lovely pic above and love the eel but when I see tanks with decor and lots of bits in the tank I always think my mature female would destroy that in minutes, she would move all the rocks about and knock it all flying.

How big is the ray and how big is the tank?

Reactions: MariaS

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
This was in a 125 (holding tank while moving). The Ray was about 10" in diameter. It was feeding time so they all gathered to that side...

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Thanks for the info, how dothe jaguar and the string ray get on, I always wondered if a pushy cichlid would get done over by a ray?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store