330 gallon setup and sump build

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
twentyleagues twentyleagues also I just don't like that my ph is either 7.6 or above. I would like to try and get that down a little bit I have hard water coming right out of the tap. Am I better of just riding it out or trying to dose with something like that API proper ph?

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
twentyleagues twentyleagues also I just don't like that my ph is either 7.6 or above. I would like to try and get that down a little bit I have hard water coming right out of the tap. Am I better of just riding it out or trying to dose with something like that API proper ph?
My ph is higher than that....nearly 8-8.2 with hard water Everyone is doing well. I think a swing in ph from water changes affect the fish more than high ph. Treating the water change water would be a real pain i would think....if you were running an auto drip it may be worse to try and dose the autoddip.

Read up on api ph stuff. I thought i read some bad stories.......but as noted above i have been wrong before.

I am glad you got the water noise down. Are you able to get your turnover rate with only one exit pipe?

Thx

Reactions: jvc66

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
My ph is higher than that....nearly 8-8.2. Everyone is doing well.

Read up on api ph stuff. I thought i read some bad stories.......but as noted above i have been wrong before.

I am glad you got the water noise down. Are you able to get your turnover rate with only one exit pipe?

Thx
I wasn't sure about it but just going through the API test kits pamphlet it mentioned it. I saw mixed reviews so I try to take everything with a grain of sale. So if you have no issues like it seems a lot of other people don't either then I'll stay away from it and live with what I got. Just wanted to get everyone's expert opinion on this!

And it's so much better with the noise down now. It was so irritating. And to be completely honest I haven't really checked a turnover rate. It cleared everything up in the tank over night when it was cloudy to. Sign with so that's all I could ask for lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I wasn't sure about it but just going through the API test kits pamphlet it mentioned it. I saw mixed reviews so I try to take everything with a grain of sale. So if you have no issues like it seems a lot of other people don't either then I'll stay away from it and live with what I got. Just wanted to get everyone's expert opinion on this!

And it's so much better with the noise down now. It was so irritating. And to be completely honest I haven't really checked a turnover rate. It cleared everything up in the tank over night when it was cloudy to. Sign with so that's all I could ask for lol
So what was the fix ? Raising the stand pipes ?

Are you getting all the fish locally or ordering online ?

Btw if you decide to mess with the sock holders i like twentyleagues twentyleagues idea of making a frame out of pvc better than my eggcrate. The socks get caught on the crate when taking them out and ya gotta kind of message themout...annoying

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So with the pH I wouldn't worry about it. Doing the chase the pH thing is going to be worse on the fish then leaving it.
As for the stability dose everyday for 7 days after adding the meeki. Then any time you add fish and what ever the dosing recommendations are until the system is stable ie you have most of your stock in the tank and aren't adding large amounts of bio load anymore. After that you can discontinue use if you choose to. Stability has the bacteria that help break down solid waste so adding it regularly will help keep solids broken down. But you can use ridex for that also. There is a thread on it here somewhere. I'm probably going to have to start using it at the clinic since he will only pay me once a month to do maintainance, not ideal and he over feeds. He takes my advise for most things but not all. But in truth I don't have time to do it more in reallity. But if he paid for more I may be able to make time....know what I mean? ;)

Reactions: jvc66 and jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Ridx thread is in the health section named probiotics in aquaria by RD long read but educational

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The meeki will be ok? Hopefully they will be. I can't find congos anywhere around here. One place has the yellow ones which I'm not looking for. But at least someone else uses stability that could give me some pointers on it. And when you say full course of stability with fish do you mean like just the meeki for 7 days or the whole stock? And do you continue to add stability once a month or every other water change like it recommends? I heard that if you don't then the cycle will crash
I used Stability to cycle my tank. Follow the directions and you are correct and you Do Not need to wait before adding fish for the prescribed dosing if you are using Prime to neutalize any ammonia and nitrite.

In the first few months AFTER my tank was cycled I use to add Stability to my sump after WC now and then. I only ever add now when I do any sump cleaning - that's been twice in almost 3 years.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I use tetra safestart but i find it cool that stability can be used in conjunction with a dechlorinator...safestart cannot.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
IMG_0936.JPG I just used a piece of 1/4" thick acrylic and jig out the sock hole and added small piece of aluminum angle to hold in place so it doesn't warp over time. When I made my sump I silicon an angle aluminum to the sump (125 gal) to hold that acrylic n other end is my glass top baffle.

J jaws7777 you mentioned that u like twentyleagues twentyleagues sock holder. Care to share some pics of it??

---
TMA: Sat Jul 22 2017 19:09:26 GMT-0400 (EDT).jpg

Last edited:

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. So I went to my lfs and they are still renovating and did not have anything I was looking for. Almost talked my girlfriend into getting a jag LMAO. But I would up at petsmart right after and grabbed the only firemouth they had since they only got one in a week. Plus 9 Buenos Aires tetras. They looked at me like I was crazy when I said all the tetras in the tank they had.

So far everyone's ok. Firemouth went MIA after a while. Think he's bidding in the rock work.

But I've continued my cycle like normal but just added prime again for the addition of fish. Might look for some more firemouths locally if I can get them since they will make more of a presence then the tetras will

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store