330 gallon setup and sump build

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Glad u got some fish in the tank. Have you thought about order online/through the mail ? Wet spot and tangled up in cichlids are great vendors

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
View attachment 1264699 I just used a piece of 1/4" thick acrylic and jig out the sock hole and added small piece of aluminum angle to hold in place so it doesn't warp over time. When I made my sump I silicon an angle aluminum to the sump (125 gal) to hold that acrylic n other end is my glass top baffle.

J jaws7777 you mentioned that u like twentyleagues twentyleagues sock holder. Care to share some pics of it??

---
View attachment 1264698
Sorry not something I'm currently running. When I did salt I was running socks, right now I'm running a wet dry. But it's easily built. Basically make a rectangular box out of pvc a little taller then your sock and a little smaller than the rim of the sock. Drill holes or fill with gravel or sand to combat buoyancy. They work great. If you decide to start growing corals they also work great with a little eggcrate zip tied to it for frag racks. Those I set up more like stairs though. Use 1/2" or 3/4" pvc.

Reactions: jaws7777

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Alright so I picked up 8 more meeki today for a total of 10 meeki and 9 Buenos Aires tetra for now. Also put my new scrubbies in that I traded with a MFKer named Kevin. Cool dude with a bunch of jag and dovi fry.

So I have two questions for you guys. What's the best way you have found to clean filter socks? So far I just tried to wash them out in the slop sink since I don't have a hose attachment to spray it out good on the lawn. Was thinking about putting it in the washer but wasn't sure what I was doing

Second question is that I've had the gate valve adjusted perfectly andnot had a single drip from the edrains until today. My gf basically plopped the bags in the tank which I told her to be gentle with and of course she didn't listen. By doing that it displaces water into the boxes and down the edrains. Normal obviously but since putting the fish in the one edrain has got a trickle. I've adjusted the valve again to fix the problem but worry that I lost my setting again. Would the movement of the fish cause the water to. D moving around more then usual on the surface to need to adjust the valve?

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
jvc66 jvc66

I still hold my belief you need two gate valves, One on each drain. Individual drains would be the way to go. You will get more flow and better turnover as well.......

And a quieter sytem.

I have two drains with one valve. I run one drain at near full siphon and the other i adjust with the valve. It is basically silent.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
jvc66 jvc66

I still hold my belief you need two gate valves, One on each drain. Individual drains would be the way to go. You will get more flow and better turnover as well.......

And a quieter sytem.

I have two drains with one valve. I run one drain at near full siphon and the other i adjust with the valve. It is basically silent.
Maybe the next tank I'll try and do seperate valves. But so far this thing is dead silent. Just getting a trickle from the edrain right now I think from the motion of the fish swimming all over right now.

The one valve has worked for a few others on here such as J jaws7777 and ragin_cajun ragin_cajun . They would probably be better at discussing the flow then I would be. I just know it works

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Not sure on the drain thing I've not run one of those type of systems. I don't think fish movement would cause it but I don't know.
I just washed my socks in the washer with some bleach NO soap! Warm delicate cycle. Depending on how many sets you have air dry and let sit for a week or just stuck them in a bucket with prime and water for a few minutes or do both which is what I did. I had 6 pair would wash 4 at a time, then prime bucket for an hour then hung to dry. Worked great.

Last edited:

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Not sure on the drain thing I've not run one of those type of systems. I don't think fish movement would cause it but I don't know.
I just washed my socks in the washer with some bleach NO soap! Warm delicate cycle. Depending on how many sets you have air dry and let sit for a week or just stuck them in a bucket with prime and water for a few minutes or do both which is what I did. I had 6 pair would was 4 at a time, then prime bucket for an hour the hung to dry. Worked great.
Just using prime and water will clean it out? Or is that after your washing them

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Alright so I picked up 8 more meeki today for a total of 10 meeki and 9 Buenos Aires tetra for now. Also put my new scrubbies in that I traded with a MFKer named Kevin. Cool dude with a bunch of jag and dovi fry.

So I have two questions for you guys. What's the best way you have found to clean filter socks? So far I just tried to wash them out in the slop sink since I don't have a hose attachment to spray it out good on the lawn. Was thinking about putting it in the washer but wasn't sure what I was doing

Second question is that I've had the gate valve adjusted perfectly andnot had a single drip from the edrains until today. My gf basically plopped the bags in the tank which I told her to be gentle with and of course she didn't listen. By doing that it displaces water into the boxes and down the edrains. Normal obviously but since putting the fish in the one edrain has got a trickle. I've adjusted the valve again to fix the problem but worry that I lost my setting again. Would the movement of the fish cause the water to. D moving around more then usual on the surface to need to adjust the valve?
Always awesome when members help each other out.

I wash my socks in the washing machine with a little bleach. Ley them air out for a few days then consider them good to go. The residual bleach gases off. duanes duanes can better explain.

No the fish movement wont cause you to have to adjust the valve. Adding decor or bio...whatever will....maybe...lol deoending on how much u add and i would think how large the overflows are would play a role... i added some.large rocks a few months ago and needed to open the valve a little havent touched it since. My guess is it increases the volume in the sump which effectd the overflows tank volume will always be the same as long as its not exceeding what the overflow/siphons can handle.

jvc66 jvc66

And a quieter sytem.

I disagree at least for how we are applying them. You could be right with getting more flow from two seperare valves but imo as long as the E drains can handle what you want the flow to be... your good.

Im running two dct12000's on setting 5 so around 1800gph each and two 1.5 inch siphons. The gate is barely opened and its dead silent. If course its lower given headloss but im not concerned with the actual numbers. I kind of judge by two things...does ditritus settle on the bottom and is my turnover enough to keep ammonia at undetectable levels.

When i 1st set the tank up i did all sorts or tests and even on setting 10 (3170 gph each pump) the 2 siphons/1gate worked fine.

My next sump will more than likely be a herbie with two gates but thats only because i have two laying around lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store