330 gallon setup and sump build

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
So after a while of lurking on MFK its time for me to get moving on my first big tank. I will be ordering a 84x30x30 from Midwest Customs with external overflows. My goal for this tank was to have a clean look inside and out and thats why I chose to go with the extenral overflows so there would be nothing to hinder my view.

I would like to thank J jaws7777 for helping me along the way and getting me the necessary info I have needed to get me to this point. I will be copying his build with some minor changes so if you havent seen it yet go check it out! https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300-gallon-setup-sump-build.679885/

Will be using 1.5" siphons and 2" drains with a 1" return. Plan on also having a hole drilled on the back panel to hook up for easy water changes so I can just hook a hose up.

As for the sump I will be copying the setup Frank has with the two sipons connecting into a single gate. Some modifications I would like to explore would be to replace some of the pvc with plastic tubing. I will be moving again in a few years so I am building this tank with that in mind to make it as easy as possible to dissassemble and reassemble.

Also thought about the possibility of addind a uv sterilizer so any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So after a while of lurking on MFK its time for me to get moving on my first big tank. I will be ordering a 84x30x30 from Midwest Customs with external overflows. My goal for this tank was to have a clean look inside and out and thats why I chose to go with the extenral overflows so there would be nothing to hinder my view.

I would like to thank J jaws7777 for helping me along the way and getting me the necessary info I have needed to get me to this point. I will be copying his build with some minor changes so if you havent seen it yet go check it out! https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300-gallon-setup-sump-build.679885/

Will be using 1.5" siphons and 2" drains with a 1" return. Plan on also having a hole drilled on the back panel to hook up for easy water changes so I can just hook a hose up.

As for the sump I will be copying the setup Frank has with the two sipons connecting into a single gate. Some modifications I would like to explore would be to replace some of the pvc with plastic tubing. I will be moving again in a few years so I am building this tank with that in mind to make it as easy as possible to dissassemble and reassemble.

Also thought about the possibility of addind a uv sterilizer so any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Congrats brother i am happy for you as i know you have been chomping at the bit to get this started.
Thx for the compliments but i have to give credit to ragin_cajun ragin_cajun for letting me pick hia brains on his build.

I would consider the plumbing positions within the overflow. Im definitly happy that i went with oversized E drains, but it was a last minute change (literally the week he was shipping the tank out) and i didnt consider how it would impact the plumbing.

Are your returns running out of the overfow and back into the top of the tank ? If yes then i would leave the returns towards the outside of the overflow (same as mine and ragins) then have the E drain in the middle and siphon next. It will be easier for you to tie the two siphons together this way.

Also let chris know that the 2 inch drains arent going to be connected to the sump. I forgot to mention this and he cut holes for 2 inch bulkheads on the sump...wasnt a big deal and actually made it easier to just fit the tee right into the sump with no additional plumbing. But somwthing tou should be aware of.

Also i went with a 2 inch gate but feel like it was over kill as its barely opened. I think 1.5 inch gate will be fine.

Glad you started the thread it will allow other more experienced members to chime in and help make your build even better than mine.

Agree drip system would be sweet if possible...still on my to do list.

Reactions: JK47

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Congrats brother i am happy for you as i know you have been chomping at the bit to get this started.
Thx for the compliments but i have to give credit to ragin_cajun ragin_cajun for letting me pick hia brains on his build.

I would consider the plumbing positions within the overflow. Im definitly happy that i went with oversized E drains, but it was a last minute change (literally the week he was shipping the tank out) and i didnt consider how it would impact the plumbing.

Are your returns running out of the overfow and back into the top of the tank ? If yes then i would leave the returns towards the outside of the overflow (same as mine and ragins) then have the E drain in the middle and siphon next. It will be easier for you to tie the two siphons together this way.

Also let chris know that the 2 inch drains arent going to be connected to the sump. I forgot to mention this and he cut holes for 2 inch bulkheads on the sump...wasnt a big deal and actually made it easier to just fit the tee right into the sump with no additional plumbing. But somwthing tou should be aware of.

Also i went with a 2 inch gate but feel like it was over kill as its barely opened. I think 1.5 inch gate will be fine.

Glad you started the thread it will allow other more experienced members to chime in and help make your build even better than mine.

Agree drip system would be sweet if possible...still on my to do list.
Thanks man you've been a big help with this whole project as well as a few others that I have learned from just by going over yours and ragin_cajun ragin_cajun a thousand times.

And I will not be doing returns on the top but instead doing them threw the back wall. Something similar to ragins but I think with one of those rotating return heads on each side so it doesnt stick out to far into the tank? Would like plumbing to be as minimal as possible in the tank as you already know.

But like you I would like to do the 2" drains on the outside just to be safe. I am also building my own sump instead of having Chris do it since that would break the budget for me for sure.

Reactions: jaws7777

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Well I finally had time with my work schedule and ordered the tank. Said it would take about 4-6 weeks since they are a little busy at the moment. After talking with Chris from midwest, we decided to nix the hole drilled in the back of the tank for waterchanges and will just do it the old fashioned way until I am able to set up my drip system after my next move.

He asked if I wanted to ship straight to my house or a terminal. Would save be about $200 to ship to a terminal and I think the closest one to me is about 15-20 minutes away. ragin_cajun ragin_cajun Was it easy to have yours loaded up at the terminal and brought home?

J jaws7777 I finally did it and joined the club!

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, wherever they ship freight will have a forklift. You just need a flat trailer to load it onto and drive it to your house.

Then call a moving company to move it into your house:). They have the guys, the dolly, and insurance.

Reactions: jvc66

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Yea, wherever they ship freight will have a forklift. You just need a flat trailer to load it onto and drive it to your house.

Then call a moving company to move it into your house:). They have the guys, the dolly, and insurance.
You think they can fit it in the bed of my ram 1500? Chris said i should be ok. And i know its smaller than yours so im wondering if 2-3 of us can move it in without a problem. Doesnt have very far to go at all maybe 20 feet around the side of the house from the driveway

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store