330 gallon setup and sump build

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I didnt move anything lol the mivers did hahaha yeah down stairs but did tale 3 of them to get it to the stairs.

DRteugelsi DRteugelsi follow this thread i bet it will come out better than mine
Absolutely!

Thanks J jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I didnt move anything lol the mivers did hahaha yeah down stairs but did tale 3 of them to get it to the stairs.

DRteugelsi DRteugelsi follow this thread i bet it will come out better than mine
Wow that is totally unreadable lmaoo

Took 3 movers until they reached the stairs, only room for two there.

I thought the stand was going to be heavier than the tank but they really did bust there butts with the tanks

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I moved my 84"x24"x24" 210 glass by myself. I rented a materials lift from Home Depot and got some furniture dollies. I added a make shift platform to the lift, slid the tank onto it and lowered it onto the dollies. Rolled it outside then back onto the lift and in the truck. Lengths of pvc make excellent rollers. The biggest issue was not being able to get the tank stand and lift into the truck at the same time, so I had to make an extra trip. I would not necessarily recommend this method, but it worked for my situation. There weren't any obstacles other than a door threshold in the way though. The lift looked something like this.

Reactions: JK47

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ

Wow that is totally unreadable lmaoo

Took 3 movers until they reached the stairs, only room for two there.

I thought the stand was going to be heavier than the tank but they really did bust there butts with the tanks
Lmao cinco de mayo get to you over there or something? But i hope my build comes out as good as yours. I think thats the good psrt about these builds is that you can always try to do something different or add s component on to the system to make it yours.

DRteugelsi DRteugelsi Franks a good guy, he took me under his wing and helped me out big time understanding everything. Ill be asking a ton of questions as i go when putting this together so make sure you do the same. J jaws7777 and ragin_cajun ragin_cajun have some awesome builds that im basing mine off of so they are the experts for sure

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I moved my 84"x24"x24" 210 glass by myself. I rented a materials lift from Home Depot and got some furniture dollies. I added a make shift platform to the lift, slid the tank onto it and lowered it onto the dollies. Rolled it outside then back onto the lift and in the truck. Lengths of pvc make excellent rollers. The biggest issue was not being able to get the tank stand and lift into the truck at the same time, so I had to make an extra trip. I would not necessarily recommend this method, but it worked for my situation. There weren't any obstacles other than a door threshold in the way though. The lift looked something like this.
Must have been a fun time moving that sucker lol. I would be so worried doing that myself i would end up busting it. And i did that with a big 78" glass tank that was like 275 galloms with the two trips. I said ill never get a glass tank again after moving that thing amd didnt even fill it

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
So this weekend got me thinking about the filtration set up. I am wanting to add a uv sterilizer to the tank since i had success with a basic one on a smaller tank. Has anybody here used them before that could give some pros and cons on them? If i installed a uv would i have to have two since there are two seperate returns?

I would connect a swing check on the return of the pump then connect hose to the intake of the uv which i eill have mounted on the underside of the plywood on the stand and then run a hose to the return.

Sound plausable?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
So this weekend got me thinking about the filtration set up. I am wanting to add a uv sterilizer to the tank since i had success with a basic one on a smaller tank. Has anybody here used them before that could give some pros and cons on them? If i installed a uv would i have to have two since there are two seperate returns?

I would connect a swing check on the return of the pump then connect hose to the intake of the uv which i eill have mounted on the underside of the plywood on the stand and then run a hose to the return.

Sound plausable?
You will want slow flow through your UV. Don't run it on a single return line that goes to the tank. Tee off and use a ball or gate valve to slow the flow. The teed off return can go right back into the sump.

Pros are water clarity and pest control but only with a slow enough flow rate. Insurance if you switch stock often.

Cons are they take up a bit of space, a bulb that has to be replaced periodically, an incredibly slow cycle at first. If you do plumb one in don't turn it on until well after your tank is cycled.

I have a 40 watt UV but only run it on a QT tank. I don't like to mask tank issues by using UV, I prefer to treat the root cause of the problem.

Any idea on what size sump and pump you will be using (sorry if I missed it)

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I guess glass is good for certain species to keep. Espacially those with teeth
I love my acrylic tank, me and my father can move it no problem. Glass to move would be like 4 other dudes, 2 pizzas and some beer haha

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
You will want slow flow through your UV. Don't run it on a single return line that goes to the tank. Tee off and use a ball or gate valve to slow the flow. The teed off return can go right back into the sump.

Pros are water clarity and pest control but only with a slow enough flow rate. Insurance if you switch stock often.

Cons are they take up a bit of space, a bulb that has to be replaced periodically, an incredibly slow cycle at first. If you do plumb one in don't turn it on until well after your tank is cycled.

I have a 40 watt UV but only run it on a QT tank. I don't like to mask tank issues by using UV, I prefer to treat the root cause of the problem.

Any idea on what size sump and pump you will be using (sorry if I missed it)
Sounds like it is more of a pain at this scale as well as expensive. Do you have any other suggestions for keeping the best water clarity besides water changes and maintenance? I have been following your build (which is awesome by the way, and sweet lea!) trying to come up with some ideas to incorporate.

I dont know if I actually wrote a sump size come to think of it. But for now I am looking at doing a 90 gallon. I plan on moving in about 3 years and would like to look into getting an acrylic sump a little larger. Only issue with a 90 is the height which will give me about 6" of play underneath the stand

JC whatever his name is did a 300 gallon with a 75 which looks like it fits a little better with the sump design I will be following
P1030902.JPG
I love my acrylic tank, me and my father can move it no problem. Glass to move would be like 4 other dudes, 2 pizzas and some beer haha
haha I know the feeling of moving the big glass. Was not worth it and ended up getting rid of it once I got home. Think once it got into the house it would have stayed and never left.

Looking forward to the updates!
Tank was ordered last thursday? So i hve about a 4-6 week lead time. I drew up a quick sketchup design to show how the back of the tank is going to look. I am doing externals with herbie style drains so they will be about 8-10" tall. They will be moved 8" in from the outside corners of the tank towards the center so I can have my returns come through the back panel between the overflow and corner of the tank

Untitled.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store