How much did your tank cost?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I know this a taboo subject for some, but there's a fair amount of anonymity on a web forum so I wanted to pry into some of your finances. I've just compiled all of my expenses from when I started with my 75 gallon tank a couple months ago up to today and some planned expenses as well.

Original 75 gal tank+extras=$400
Testing kits+plants+decor=$50
240 gal tank+hood+light=$1300
Fx6+media=$300
Lumber, hardware for stand= $170
Sump build supplies and media=$260
Fish i have bought already=$100
Fish i intend to buy=$100
Fish food=$50

For a total project cost of around $2730 so far. I don't consider myself frugal but I certainly don't like to overpay for things and i think I did this as economically as I could but hot damn what an expensive hobby (in my opinion at least)

How about y'all? Long term goal of mine is to set up a nice display reef tank 125-180 gallons. Something much more decorative and prettier than my 240 freshwater will be. Any estimates for something like that?

I know a lot of you have like 10 or 12 tanks so I guess I'll refer to your nicest single tank lol

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
For a nice 180G Reef tank, it's easy go well over 10K, equipment alone would cost up 3K and the rest would be the price for corals at the show size, it's much cheaper if you buy frag and rise them up but would take years.

Reactions: tlindsey

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have honestly never paid over 500 for a tank and stand.
Yeah I've been on the lookout for something used in the size range I was looking for, but all ive seen locally was a $1500 180gal with stand PASS. after a month or so I caved and ordered a new one. I am happy I'm getting the size I wanted though and I would prefer to build my own stand anyways.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
For a nice 180G Reef tank, it's easy go well over 10K, equipment alone would cost up 3K and the rest would be the price for corals at the show size, it's much cheaper if you buy frag and rise them up but would take years.
Yeah I know hella expensive for reef tanks. And if I was to get one I'd want an atypical tank shape like a hex or cylinder which is an even pricier tank plus all the saltwater equipment blows my budget out of the metaphorical water.

Maybe I'll just have a fancy goldfish tank lol.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Yeah I know hella expensive for reef tanks. And if I was to get one I'd want an atypical tank shape like a hex or cylinder which is an even pricier tank plus all the saltwater equipment blows my budget out of the metaphorical water.

Maybe I'll just have a fancy goldfish tank lol.
it's expensive but not impossible to do :) you just need to save some money each month and gathering your equipment piece by piece when they are on sale.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
For tanks or total tank set up?

I dont like to think about all the incidentals that just go by.....

like pvc. People say pvc is cheap.....but i think i have a few hundred dollars in pvc! $35 one time. $67 the next....a few nicer ball valves in a couple of sizes $10

Air pumps. Water pumps. Heaters.

PLANTS!!!!!! I have a lot of money in plants. Damn plants!

For the tank it self? I live in a great area. NJ is close. Everyone in NJ has fish i think. :).

180 reef tank. Tank only $180
125 reef tank with stand and lids (MFK sale) $350.
75 reef tank. Tank only $25
75 gallon tank with bulkheads. Tank only $20

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store