Next Poly?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
That'd be a great tank but the sens wouldnt need it. But your ljs if you get them would love it. If either or both if your tanks are drilled you could combine the sumps to share the heater but it would cost more because it'd be on more.
The heaters are set to 72, but the tank is at 75-76 because my dad insulated the sump. The heaters don't come on very often with how slowly the tank loses heat. Another tank the same size as the 210 added to the system would theoretically double how many times the heaters turn on, but it shouldn't make too big difference considering how little they turn on in the first place.

J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 kno4te kno4te magpie magpie Troy1015 Troy1015 twentyleagues twentyleagues clm08k clm08k
I spoke with the seller, and he finally gave me the dimensions of the tank. It turned out to be a 5x1x2, which is a 75, rather than a 280. I decided not to get the tank, as $180 is steep for a 75 considering the other deals on cl. After I told the seller that I was no longer interested in the tank, my dad told me that he didn't want me to look for tanks yet. I think that worked out well, because if I forced my dad into a cl meet up that he wasn't ready for, he would likely scrap the idea of a new tank.

I'm a little upset with myself for contacting the guy with the 280, because now I don't want anything smaller than the 210... At least I can blame my dad when he learns how large of a tank I want. He taught me the "never settle/always get the biggest and best" mindset.

If anyone finds a tank for sale in Ga, or even the neighboring states, above 200 gallons please pm me. As happy as J jaws7777 and Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 would be to take my Sens, I'd rather it not come to that.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
A good footprint to also look for if you want another tank is 4x2x2 or 5x2x2 which is 120 and 150. With those dims you could house many poly for a long time. I like to think of them as monster mini set up because you can house large fish in them but just not have the length of say a 210 which is 7x2x2 just food for thought

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I was gonna say that $180 was a steal for a 280 setup! Funny that the guy doesn't know how big the tank is - 75 and 280 are quite different LOL...

Agreed with Troy, a 120 or 150 would be far more than enough for your upper jaws, and should be cheaper. Then you have your 210 for the lower jaws that you want or the larger uppers.

Good luck!

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I was gonna say that $180 was a steal for a 280 setup! Funny that the guy doesn't know how big the tank is - 75 and 280 are quite different LOL...

Agreed with Troy, a 120 or 150 would be far more than enough for your upper jaws, and should be cheaper. Then you have your 210 for the lower jaws that you want or the larger uppers.

Good luck!
The guy I spoke to was very kind, but I'm not sure he was very well educated, which would explain his mix up in the tank sizes. On the phone he said the fish he kept in the tank he was selling was about 2-3 hands long.
A good footprint to also look for if you want another tank is 4x2x2 or 5x2x2 which is 120 and 150. With those dims you could house many poly for a long time. I like to think of them as monster mini set up because you can house large fish in them but just not have the length of say a 210 which is 7x2x2 just food for thought
Like I said, the mindset my dad gave me is why I want another 200+ gallon tank. He's always had to get the best of everything, and his mindset rubbed off on me quite a bit.

A couple weeks ago, my dad finally decided to replace the tv in our living room. It had been glitching for a few months at that point. Either the image would freeze or the tv would turn itself off, and it gave no warning before it did either of these. The tv in the living room was a 49" 1080p TCL. It wasn't the nicest tv, but it did get the job done, at least before it started glitching. I went with him to microcenter, his favorite local electronic store (or at least the one he hates the least), and he told me he wasn't looking for anything special, just a 55". We left the store with a 65" 4K HDR LG tv. He can't have anything but the best.

This is the same reason why the tank in my room that I planned to be a $300 low tech planted ended up as a $1000 high tech planted, but this time it was because of my inability to settle and not his.

Reactions: magpie

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I understand the desire, and I applaud you for wanting another large tank for your fish, but you're on a limited budget, so this might be one of those times to "settle." ;) Just because you're tight on cash.
By the time I find another good deal, I'll have birthday and christmas money, which is at least $100-150. I depends on how many gifts I get compared to gift cards.

J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 magpie magpie clm08k clm08k
I've heard that people have had issues keeping Knives and Polypterus. Would my BGK do best with the UJs or LJs? I've heard stories about their tails getting nipped off by polypterus. Normally my BGK is peaceful, but I would consider him semi aggressive towards the Polypterus and other bottom dwellers. Specifically the Sun Cat. He's always nudging the Sun Cat, and occasionally he'll push the Sun Cat away from his spot. They go back and forth daily about who gets the darkest spot under the driftwood. Earlier today I saw the Knife in a different spot (He likely lost his spot to the Sun Cat for an hour, which is how long it takes before they start fighting again), and the Teug kept laying on top of him. The BGK kept pushing the Teug 3-4" away, and then returned to his spot to lay down. Eventually he got fed up and shoved the Teug about 6" away from his spot, and his mouth was open nearly 90 degrees while he was moving the Teug. Is this a behavior I should be worried about?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thanks.

It's not just one Sen though, it's 4. After hearing about how slowly Sens grow I'm beginning to think my 8" Sen is at least 1-2 years old.

kno4te kno4te twentyleagues twentyleagues Troy1015 Troy1015 magpie magpie J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 I spoke to the seller and he said the lowest he would go for the 280 is $180, $10 more than what he said on offerup, but still an amazing deal. I'm waiting for him to call back about the dimensions.
Thats still a good price, here in cali they will go for $300-$500 easy, $180 will be good.

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I think they should be fine. It's normal stuff bgk do. I'm suprised the sun cat can get him to move. I don't think the bgk can/will cause any real damage to the polys and they shouldn't bother him really either.

Reactions: Angelphish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Bgk won't cause any real problems for polys. There are some tail nipping with lower jaws polys and bgk. This is the size issue and continued close contact/interaction b/w the two.

Lower jaws will grow too fast for bgk which have a varied but slow growth. Bgks are cb now so it's hard to find them in big sizes. Saw one 12inches and was maybe 2-2.5 y ago. It was expensive but an impressive fish. Would have gotten myself if I had the space.

But a few members have large and fully grown bgk with lower jaws and no issues. Once large they won't be bullied and not looked at as food.

They are good with upper jaws when small but if grown out to a good size then fine with lower jaws.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store