Next Poly?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
If he's not psyched I don't think a 280 is your best bet. ;)
He's worried about the cost of electricity, so I'll try to work out a system that can heat both tanks at once. I hope I can convince my dad to let me do the 280 though, as the guy said he would drop it off, and I haggled him down to $170.

When I talked to him about setting up another tank, he asked if the extra 20 long would work, so he was somewhat open to the idea, I just have to work with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: magpie

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Not sure your age work situation or school situation but running tanks can be expensive. I have two tanks and with sumps. I looked at the most efficient pumps for my sumps, lights, wavemakers, etc and what not and with that my electricity bill still doubled. A good exercise if you can and really want to set up a fish tank is to take the responsibility for the difference it makes on the bill. Cover the extra cost yourself don't put it on your dad. If your not willing to pay or able to pay the difference then maybe just stick to what you have for now or get the new tank and shut down your current tank but to stress your dad over a hobby is not worth it. and to be frank Im not a old guy telling you this although I do sound like one.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Not sure your age work situation or school situation but running tanks can be expensive. I have two tanks and with sumps. I looked at the most efficient pumps for my sumps, lights, wavemakers, etc and what not and with that my electricity bill still doubled. A good exercise if you can and really want to set up a fish tank is to take the responsibility for the difference it makes on the bill. Cover the extra cost yourself don't put it on your dad. If your not willing to pay or able to pay the difference then maybe just stick to what you have for now or get the new tank and shut down your current tank but to stress your dad over a hobby is not worth it. and to be frank Im not a old guy telling you this although I do sound like one.
He'll use the opportunity as an excuse to try another one of his ideas. Like I said, it's not that he doesn't want to, I just need to work with him.

If I could get a job to pay the difference I would, but with all honors classes, I don't get done with homework until 6:30, which leaves me with no time for a job. Most of my money comes from my birthday, christmas, or other special occasions. Big purchases like this take a long time for me to save for, and it would take multiple months for me to save up for the monthly bill.

Reactions: Troy1015

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Sounds like your doing your job as a kid. Sure your dad does the best he can you give you what you want. Just wanted to make a suggestion to help you. Good luck.

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Sounds like your doing your job as a kid. Sure your dad does the best he can you give you what you want. Just wanted to make a suggestion to help you. Good luck.
Thanks

I just spoke with him and he said he would consider another tank if it was on the same filtration/heating system as the 210. I told him that to add another tank, the sump would need to be added on to (adding a 55 to the sump system), and he seemed to be okay with the idea. I haven't told him that the tank is a 280 yet (I'm still waiting on the seller to send the dimensions, for all I know it may not even be a 280), but that's next. He's warming up to the idea now that he knows it won't double the electricity bill.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Troy1015 Troy1015 magpie magpie

I spoke to my dad once again, and he showed me where he would move the 210 (he wouldn't even say that unless he was seriously considering a new tank), where the new tank would go, and where the sump would go. While he was showing me where he planned to put the tanks, I told him the one I was looking at was 72" (which I believe is the standard length of a 275/280), and he didn't seem to mind that it was a larger tank.

This project is off to a good start. I'm pretty close to having my dad fully convinced on getting another tank (an accomplishment that deserves a medal on its own), so hopefully my Sens will get an upgrade within the next few months.

If I'm not able to set up another tank, I know the members of this forum would give them a better home. If it comes to that I would prefer J jaws7777 or Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 to take them, as they've treated me like family on this forum, and I feel it would only be right to give the Sens to them.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Troy1015 Troy1015 magpie magpie

I spoke to my dad once again, and he showed me where he would move the 210 (he wouldn't even say that unless he was seriously considering a new tank), where the new tank would go, and where the sump would go. While he was showing me where he planned to put the tanks, I told him the one I was looking at was 72" (which I believe is the standard length of a 275/280), and he didn't seem to mind that it was a larger tank.

This project is off to a good start. I'm pretty close to having my dad fully convinced on getting another tank (an accomplishment that deserves a medal on its own), so hopefully my Sens will get an upgrade within the next few months.

If I'm not able to set up another tank, I know the members of this forum would give them a better home. If it comes to that I would prefer J jaws7777 or Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 to take them, as they've treated me like family on this forum, and I feel it would only be right to give the Sens to them.
Im glad to hear that your dad is ok with a new tank, looks like its going to be a good home for your polys and you wont have to worry about your next poly since you can have the smaller once in a different tank.
I would gladly take care of your sen for you:)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Im glad to hear that your dad is ok with a new tank, looks like its going to be a good home for your polys and you wont have to worry about your next poly since you can have the smaller once in a different tank.
I would gladly take care of your sen for you:)
Thanks.

It's not just one Sen though, it's 4. After hearing about how slowly Sens grow I'm beginning to think my 8" Sen is at least 1-2 years old.

kno4te kno4te twentyleagues twentyleagues Troy1015 Troy1015 magpie magpie J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 I spoke to the seller and he said the lowest he would go for the 280 is $180, $10 more than what he said on offerup, but still an amazing deal. I'm waiting for him to call back about the dimensions.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That'd be a great tank but the sens wouldnt need it. But your ljs if you get them would love it. If either or both if your tanks are drilled you could combine the sumps to share the heater but it would cost more because it'd be on more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store