SENEGAL BICHIR fry disappearing/dying at 1cm size

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
And yes it woul
Haha. I'm a highschool student with too much time. Did you see the other prof thread?
Actually I did have a glance at it last night and made a note to read the rest of it, which I've since forgotten in classic fashion. Thanks for reminding me :p

It must be beautiful down in South Africa by the way, one of the places i'd like to visit most.

Reactions: Hendre

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Thank you, but no I'm just a stoner with Asberger really. :p I always wanted to be an academic, but ended up as a welder. Good money though. And there's still time I suppose, I'm still in my twenties.

And yes it would be fun to hear what your Professor says, he sounds like a very interesting fella.
wow another fish obsessed Aspie like me why am I not surprised. What are your other obsessions, mine are cars, pitbulls and computers

Reactions: Mighty Wizard

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
wow another fish obsessed Aspie like me why am I not surprised. What are your other obsessions, mine are cars, pitbulls and computers
Haha yeah you could say I've become somewhat obsessed, but in a healthy way, mostly. I've been an am into many things, but electronic music has become a primal need if you will, and I really like science in it's various forms, I suppose. Astronomy in particular, physics, chemistry, and lately also biology, but my knowledge is still at a relatively basic level regarding the latter three. I also got very much into chess while away on vacation for some months. Then other projects come and go, I suppose you know how it is ;)

I actually have a Pitbull/Amstaff cross sitting beside me now :) Watching her for a friend of mine. And she reeeeeeaaally wants to go for a walk right now so I suppose I'll have to oblige..

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
yeah when I got into pits I GOT INTO PITS. I ended up working in pit rescue for 4 years and had over 100 foster pits come through my door in that time with as many as 13 at 1 time

Reactions: Mighty Wizard

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
I understand the $$$$ you need to spend for them. From my experience, you need just a pair that likes each other. I originally have 5 specimen that were collected/acquired as mature - kept them for approx 2 years. i'm not sure how old they were when I got them. I lost the rest due for no apparent reason and was lucky to have two surviving - a male and female. nothing happened when they were on the colony and eggs started when there were only two in the tank. tank is bare with just a mat of grass. lights 9am-7pm, water change with RO (but I now just use tap water). I feed them bloodworms and live african night crawlers (expensive - i can buy a happy meal with a few pcs of worms). I can trigger them to lay eggs but my prob is keeping the frys alive.

I have been experimenting on my ornate pair (7+years) but seems my approach fails. I gave up and dumped my pair in the community tank now as I loss hope for them. Maybe one day they'll do it, for now, I'm happy to just see them swimming around.

All the best on your endeavour.
Hey mate I just setup my breeding tank and already I have eggs which are through out the tank. I have moved the eggs and moss to a separate tank with tank water from the breeding tank added a heater and sponge filter/aerator. How long do the eggs normally take to hatch? Also once hatched how long until I start feeding them brine shrimp and micro worms? This is my first attempt so I don't think I will have much success but I want to try. Any other advice regarding the eggs/fry tank and feeding?

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Thats good. I set my heater at 28-30 degrees. Theres some pics on the net on the embryo progress - i dont monitor mine. If fertile they develop, if not they turn white after a day or two.

I start feeding microworms once they are at the toadpole phase.

Im still no successful with my method so best to do more research.

All the best.

Reactions: tlindsey

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Thats good. I set my heater at 28-30 degrees. Theres some pics on the net on the embryo progress - i dont monitor mine. If fertile they develop, if not they turn white after a day or two.

I start feeding microworms once they are at the toadpole phase.

Im still no successful with my method so best to do more research.

All the best.
I have read the fry eat their egg sac for 4-6 days or so once they hatch. I am hoping my eggs are fertilized is it common for a female senegal to lay eggs without them being fertilized? Mine never layed eggs in my main community tank of bichir only since introducing the two females and one male to my breeding setup have they started laying eggs. Also is their a possibility of some fry hatching in the main tank and then I could move them to the fry tank? Are you feeding live baby brine shrimp and micro worms once the fry have hatched?

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
just cultured microworms - you may want to start up culturing your fry food. I think you triggered the spawn when you moved them out the main tank. hopefully, they'll continue the spawn. I have heard of females laying eggs without a male, so best to watch them do the bump and grind. if it's a female layed eggs without a male, it'll end up with mould/white by day 2.

from experience, my senegals didn't do anything until the time that I only have a male and female. I would personally prefer just keeping true pair, if you have a 3rd wheel, that one will end up waiting and eating the eggs whilst the pair do their bump and grind. Collect as many eggs as you can and take them out the tank the soonest possible.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
just cultured microworms - you may want to start up culturing your fry food. I think you triggered the spawn when you moved them out the main tank. hopefully, they'll continue the spawn. I have heard of females laying eggs without a male, so best to watch them do the bump and grind. if it's a female layed eggs without a male, it'll end up with mould/white by day 2.

from experience, my senegals didn't do anything until the time that I only have a male and female. I would personally prefer just keeping true pair, if you have a 3rd wheel, that one will end up waiting and eating the eggs whilst the pair do their bump and grind. Collect as many eggs as you can and take them out the tank the soonest possible.

I agree they love eating the eggs and will sniff them out. There is no parenting behavior whatsoever spawn and eat eggs and the fry.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017

I have witnessed the senegals performing breeding behavior so I believe the eggs to be fertilized. The male was always interested in one female. I am not sure which one and if he has interest in the second or not. I was sold a pair initially that seemed to like each other but when I introduced the second he was very interested. I have been collecting the eggs all through the plants what do you find the best way to collect the eggs? I have ordered some microworms and brine shrimp which should be here in time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store