SENEGAL BICHIR fry disappearing/dying at 1cm size

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I need to get a group of wild caught sens for myself one day... Big enough to get some males...

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Bit of an update. My senegals are definitely producing fertile eggs. I have witnessed a couple fry growing in their eggs in the fry tank they remind of the movie Alien. I also noticed some eggs may be bad or getting fungus. What can be used to prevent this? Also this morning the fry I have been watching have hatched from their eggs and are hiding somewhere in the green moss lol. I have started my micro worm cultures to feed them at this small size after they consume their egg sacs. Any advice on water change schedule for fry or feeding them?

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Aeration and methylene blue can help against fungus, as for feeding get food a few times a day which is standard for fry. Water changes not so sure on

Reactions: tlindsey

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Aeration and methylene blue can help against fungus, as for feeding get food a few times a day which is standard for fry. Water changes not so sure on
Thanks for the advice Hendre, I don't know if we can get methylene blue here in Australia. As for aeration I have a sponge filter but I will also add an airstone of some kind. Just thought it might be too strong for the fry.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Met blue is legal and available. I bought a small bottle online but wasn't able to use as I didn't have eggs and when I had eggs, it was already expired. I didn't bother buying a new one. I normally do weekly water change.

My fry tank is 5ft with those fry savers clipped on the side. I'm running 2x 2217 on that.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Met blue is legal and available. I bought a small bottle online but wasn't able to use as I didn't have eggs and when I had eggs, it was already expired. I didn't bother buying a new one. I normally do weekly water change.

My fry tank is 5ft with those fry savers clipped on the side. I'm running 2x 2217 on that.
Fry update: I have around 10-15 surviving fry in my fry tank. They should be on the micro worms in the next two days. Any advice on feeding the micro worms to them? I have read they arn't very active hunters at this size. Also I have been trying to get the senegals to breed again but haven't had much success. How often do the senegals lay eggs? How long between laying eggs do they usually go? I have tried doing a massive water change to reduce the tank temp but haven't had much success with them laying eggs this time. Also provided plenty of suitable plants for the eggs. Any advice is appreciated.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lower the water level when feeding and make sure you stir food around a bit to get it past their mouths :)

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Lower the water level when feeding and make sure you stir food around a bit to get it past their mouths :)
Thanks for the advice it looks like the fry's egg sac's are almost gone so I will try to add some micro worms to the tank after work and drain the tank level as suggested. Do you use a pipette or similar to drop the microworms near the fry?

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks for the advice it looks like the fry's egg sac's are almost gone so I will try to add some micro worms to the tank after work and drain the tank level as suggested. Do you use a pipette or similar to drop the microworms near the fry?
That'd probably work well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store