SENEGAL BICHIR fry disappearing/dying at 1cm size

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
I agree they love eating the eggs and will sniff them out. There is no parenting behavior whatsoever spawn and eat eggs and the fry.
Same as most american cichlids then lol. Any other advice regarding hatching the eggs and raising the fry? I saw your post regarding your experience with breeding.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
just patiently collecting them. Someone suggested to move the parent out to another tank and leave the eggs and fry on the spawning tank, but I'm afraid that moving them may cause the spawning to cease. So patiently collecting eggs now as I see them. I collected a batch of eggs last night despite not changing water but it has been raining here the past days and that may have triggered them to spawn. Changing 70% water triggers my pair to lay eggs.

I still need to pass the 1cm mark, still hoping.

Reactions: tlindsey

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
just patiently collecting them. Someone suggested to move the parent out to another tank and leave the eggs and fry on the spawning tank, but I'm afraid that moving them may cause the spawning to cease. So patiently collecting eggs now as I see them. I collected a batch of eggs last night despite not changing water but it has been raining here the past days and that may have triggered them to spawn. Changing 70% water triggers my pair to lay eggs.

I still need to pass the 1cm mark, still hoping.
Do you use something to suck up the eggs when they are on the substrate or driftwood etc? I just grabbed the plants and moved them in the fry tank with the same aquarium water. I believe the cold water change triggers breeding. I changed the main tank water again yesterday after collecting eggs but didn't clean the bottom as I didn't want to suck up the remaining eggs. I noticed a few hours later more eggs and when I get home from work I expect more still lol.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
just manual collection for me as the eggs sticks on the grass and tank walls. Hopefully you have better luck than me on growing them. I might learn on your approach on raising the frys.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
just manual collection for me as the eggs sticks on the grass and tank walls. Hopefully you have better luck than me on growing them. I might learn on your approach on raising the frys.
This will be my first experience raising fry so I'd say you have much more experience and better chances than me but I will keep you updated. For all I know I might get home and all the eggs may be white. my approach will probably be really similar to yours in alot of ways. Do you normally find the eggs hatch in 2-4 days? Once they hatch I will try put in some micro worms after the fry have no more egg yolk to eat. Hopefully I receive them by tomorrow. If I find more eggs after work I will see if I can move a couple more to the fry setup. How many times a day are you feeding your fry and how long does it take them to reach 1 cm?

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
2-4 days is a bit too early, they may still have they egg sac. I feed twice - morning before I head off to work and nighttime.

for me to get to 1cm - about 2-3weeks. then they disappear or die. I have one survivor now, 1cm - hopefully I can keep it alive.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
2-4 days is a bit too early, they may still have they egg sac. I feed twice - morning before I head off to work and nighttime.

for me to get to 1cm - about 2-3weeks. then they disappear or die. I have one survivor now, 1cm - hopefully I can keep it alive.
Yes good luck hopefully he /she survives. How long did the eggs take to hatch?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store