"Common" CB Senegals vs Nigerian wild caught. Diff Sp?

Could there be a different subspecies at play here?

• I think so

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No ways

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Ive read many books on the hobby....have you read any one polypterus ? I think not and even if you have you's see that the most common book is outdated and allot of the info has been revised.

Asking me if ive read a book is your answer to examples that are disproving this myth...? Mhhh please explain what basis you have to say ops sen is a different subspecies ?

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/polypterus-congicus-photo-thread.275353/page-12

Reas the mist recent commwents between Hao Hao and myself.

Yet another example. I have two congi. One dark onw very light. It was explained to me that some congi collection points are in murkier swamp type od waters. Causing them to have a different color.....Both are congicus.
Actually I'm alluding to the fact that you obviously don't have a grip on how evolution works, or the taxonomic system we've created to make sense of evolution. But nevermind that. A fish is a fish is a fish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Actually I'm alluding to the fact that you obviously don't have a grip on how evolution works, or the taxonomic system we've created to make sense of evolution. But nevermind that. A fish is a fish is a fish.
So again your going to stick to wise ass comments imstead of posting facts to support your arguement.

Vieja melanura.
Screenshot_20171020-213345.png

Vieja synspilum
Screenshot_20171020-213316.png

Both were thought to be two different species of vieja. Now its been discovered that they are both indeed the same fish only a regional variant of the other.

Moose wizard you do understand that op stated the tail on his cb sen is different than the tail on his wc sen..i'll let that sink in for a while

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
The thing is that Hendre is talking about naming a possible different sub species of Senegal based on a comparison with captive bred fish.

If we were comparing wild caught Sens that looked vastly different from each other it would be a more legit conversation but we're not. And there is a sub species of Senegal - it is the Meridonales. It's larger. But again, that has nothing to really do with CB Sens.

In the stickies up top there is a reference to this.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/all-bichir-polypterus-species-updated.684410/

I wish @Joshsfish was still active to voice his opinion

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No dude I gave up two posts back. Try reading my previous posts again and you might understand what I'm getting at.
Just for your information there are multiple polys with in the senegalus group as is the weekaii group along with others. Check out the stickies lots of informative info.

Please since im a simpleton explain this one thing.

Op has a wc fish.
Op has a cb fish.
Op notices a small difderence between the two.
= a subspecies ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The thing is that Hendre is talking about naming a possible different sub species of Senegal based on a comparison with captive bred fish.

If we were comparing wild caught Sens that looked vastly different from each other it would be a more legit conversation but we're not. And there is a sub species of Senegal - it is the Meridonales. It's larger. But again, that has nothing to really do with CB Sens.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/all-bichir-polypterus-species-updated.684410/

Exactly. Comparing two fish and one having a slight difference does not mean this difference is on a taxonomic level that would lead anyone to think subspecies.

Mighty Wizard Mighty Wizard post #2 of this thread says it all.

Reactions: magpie

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Just for your information there are multiple polys with in the senegalus group as is the weekaii group along with others. Check out the stickies lots of informative info.

Please since im a simpleton explain this one thing.

Op has a wc fish.
Op has a cb fish.
Op notices a small difderence between the two.
= a subspecies ?
I don't know about Hendre's Bichirs, and I never claimed to know. I said that there are likely to be several subspecies of P. Senegalus, because of its wide range. I then proceeded to state exactly why that is likely. That Hendre might be in possession of one such subspecies is perfectly possible.

For the record I'm sorry about you being a simpleton. I didn't know that.

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere

I might be going out on a limb here, but I think Hendre merely meant to speculate rather than actually name a new species. After all this is a forum. And it's quite right that we wouldn't be able to properly deduce anything without several specimen, but speculating and sharing ideas can be fun none the less.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I don't know about Hendre's Bichir's, and I never claimed to know. I said that there are likely to be several subspecies of P. Senegalus, because of its wide range. I then proceeded to state exactly why that is likely. That Hendre might be in possession of one such subspecies is perfectly possible.

For the record I'm sorry about you being a simpleton. I didn't know that.
i ive heard there are red eyed fire breathing laps ....hey you never know they have a wide distribution.

There are likely to be an number of subspecies found any where but are we really going to play that game ? Especially using the whole wide distribution angle ? Cmon pal. We already know of species that have a wide distribution and regardless of what you FEEL they all have been proven to be the SAME SPECIES ex: endlicheri.

Hendre Hendre dont mean this in a rude way your a good guy but what you have is a wc caught sen and there will always be physical differences between a wc fish and a cb fish. Will even be differences in two fish caught in the same location. Hao Hao explained (1st hand infk from the distributor himself) wc sens are not as rare as we think...its only because there ismt much of a market for them. Now if we are talking the Meridonales then yeah it would be considered rare. I have a sen too and its a great little poly but even then regardless of wc or cb i think others like retros, dels, mokes and so on will always be more saught after...just my opinion but regardless you've been give enough facs and have probably read all of our countless debates on these catch locations to understand that you do not own a subspecies of senegalus. The only known subspecies is Meridonales...regardless of how much someone says "there could be"

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
i ive heard there are red eyed fire breathing laps ....hey you never know they have a wide distribution.

There are likely to be an number of subspecies found any where but are we really going to play that game ? Especially using the whole wide distribution angle ? Cmon pal. We already know of species that have a wide distribution and regardless of what you FEEL they all have been proven to be the SAME SPECIES ex: endlicheri.

Hendre Hendre dont mean this in a rude way your a good guy but what you have is a wc caught sen and there will always be physical differences between a wc fish and a cb fish. Will even be differences in two fish caught in the same location. Hao Hao explained (1st hand infk from the distributor himself) wc sens are not as rare as we think...its only because there ismt much of a market for them. Now if we are talking the Meridonales then yeah it would be considered rare. I have a sen too and its a great little poly but even then regardless of wc or cb i think others like retros, dels, mokes and so on will always be more saught after...just my opinion but regardless you've been give enough facs and have probably read all of our countless debates on these catch locations to understand that you do not own a subspecies of senegalus. The only known subspecies is Meridonales...regardless of how much someone says "there could be"
So you're trying to say that it's pointless to speculate? Why get involved at all then?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store