Potential MBU setup

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hello everyone!

This post will be the beginning of my due diligence for my big project next year.

To add some context, next year I'll be getting married in November (still got time to back out!), and buying a house with my wife to be. With this new house comes a happy new Aquarium. The size I'm looking at is a 225g that is 6'x24"x30", it's the largest non custom size my LFS can get. At first i was considering going bigger but the issue is that no store covers transport here in Montreal for oversized tanks. Which means if anything happens during transport, or there's difficulty bringing the tank into my house, it's my problem. So 225g it is.

So as for stocking I was hoping to maybe get an MBU puffer for this tank. Problem is I'm not sure it'll be good for life. I've seen sources say that 24"-30" depth is good for life. But seeing as how upgrading after I get the fish isn't an option, I'd rather know before hand by the experienced members of MFK.

If the consensus is in the end the MBU is too big what else would be a good tank mate in a tank that size that I can add other fish with in the future?

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this mini novel of a post and helps :)

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Ive read that mbu can reach 26" in length so i really would not think this tank would be good for one. I know that they can dart quickly also if spooked... really, at 26" a 6' tank i only 10" longer than 2x the length of the fish, so a quick dart could be painful... if i were you i would look at a smaller (relatively) freshwater puffer like a fahaka.

Can a mbu fit inside that tank? sure, but would it be a happy mbu? i doubt it.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Ive read that mbu can reach 26" in length so i really would not think this tank would be good for one. I know that they can dart quickly also if spooked... really, at 26" a 6' tank i only 10" longer than 2x the length of the fish, so a quick dart could be painful... if i were you i would look at a smaller (relatively) freshwater puffer like a fahaka.

Can a mbu fit inside that tank? sure, but would it be a happy mbu? i doubt it.
Ya i guess if max size is 26" makes no sense to get an MBU. A fahaka would be cool but I've read that they're super aggressive.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Don't use his as a typical example. 99% of the time everything else is going to die and anything that doesn't is probably going to end the fahaka.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store