MANGROVE JACK-Scientific name: Lutjanus argentimaculatus

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Mines pretty indiferent to the light but in saying that its only a 60cm led on a 5 foot tank so its not very bright at all. I collected him some crabs he went bonkers for them. Yours is looking pretty close to the foot long mark they grow fast.

DannyDovii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
London Bermondsey
So did you get the crabs from a beach near you? Actually I’d imagine crabs to be pretty high on there favourite food list. Mangrove swamps are teaming with them,and there’s more than enough video of them smashing crabs and fish on the net and tv. How big was the crabs and how many did he take at a time?
I wish you done a video of him feeding on the crabs.:cool:

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
So did you get the crabs from a beach near you? Actually I’d imagine crabs to be pretty high on there favourite food list. Mangrove swamps are teaming with them,and there’s more than enough video of them smashing crabs and fish on the net and tv. How big was the crabs and how many did he take at a time?
I wish you done a video of him feeding on the crabs.:cool:
Yeah just got them from the local beach, they were about 2" accross the shell. Took about 4 smashed them in half on the driftwood. Ill video next time for sure.

DannyDovii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
London Bermondsey
Yeah just got them from the local beach, they were about 2" accross the shell. Took about 4 smashed them in half on the driftwood. Ill video next time for sure.
THATS HARD CORE...;):cool:
Yes would like to see him chase them down. Do they even make it to the bottom?

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
THATS HARD CORE...;):cool:
Yes would like to see him chase them down. Do they even make it to the bottom?
They probably wouldnt have if i didnt feed him prawns that morning I should have waited but you know how it is haha

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Looks mint man. Can see those teeth. What ya feeding him on these days?

SammyJack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, dude. I think I fed him shrimps for about a month then I switched to mussels for about a week now. Needless to say he loves his mussels, he lost every bit of skittishness and is now flexing whenever I'm coming near his tank to feed him. He even grabs those mussels very aggressively. I'd say it's his new favorite food now.

How big is yours now and what (and how much) do you feed it?

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks, dude. I think I fed him shrimps for about a month then I switched to mussels for about a week now. Needless to say he loves his mussels, he lost every bit of skittishness and is now flexing whenever I'm coming near his tank to feed him. He even grabs those mussels very aggressively. I'd say it's his new favorite food now.

How big is yours now and what (and how much) do you feed it?
Ill have to try mussels. Ive just been feeding him massivore and another pellet at the moment, just moved him into his own 480 gallon tank so hes way more mellow more interactive though splashes for food. Hes 14" im interested to see how the new tank affects growth.

Reactions: SammyJack

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Little update of mine to keep the thread alive. Settled into the new tank. Hes almost recovered from the escape from the bucket while moving him, dont think his fin will ever recover but hes swimming fine. Its hard to say if hes grown any he looks small in the tank.20171227_115000.jpg 20171227_114946(0).jpg 20171227_114926.jpg 20171227_114705.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store