Tiny white worms

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hi fellow MFKs I ve got makes me feel like a rookie question. As this issue is a first out of all tanks I ve kept and happens to be happening in my 4th and largest tank. Today I spotted blowing around in my water a small tiny worm. It had the body of a earthworm with that tiny ring closer to one end than the other. It forced me to sit down and really eye ball my tank over (6foot 125 gal bichir african cichlid tank)

Here’s a few photos I tried to capture the worms in the center of the photos so you don’t have to look to hard. I found most of them on the sponge filter1F99A33C-FAAD-4142-9D9E-73F4488C5829.jpeg1F99A33C-FAAD-4142-9D9E-73F4488C5829.jpeg 38CAE90F-ED13-4F73-8745-CB3ADE0543EB.jpegB911654E-0F05-4E88-8CB4-93DCD22AACAE.jpeg 5A916FE8-1117-4990-AC21-2C8D5C9B1825.jpeg

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hello; look up hydra.
It’s definitly not a hydra. It resembles an earthworm but just white and tiny. I ve been doin 50% water changes every Sunday I’m goin to do a more thorough cleaning this weekend and remove all stones and stir up the substrate as well and add bottles to my power heads with filter floss to help clear the water column. It’s a bichir / cichlid tank and I find that the cichlids through moving the sand as much as they do and the bichirs swimming across the bottom result in burying a lot of bichir poop.

Feeding wise i feed small increments of pellets and as soon as I see 1 pellet hit the bottom i stop feeding. I have so many so I have to drop pellets in diff areas so that all can get some.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The third photo does resemble hydra. See some tentacle looking arms.

Whether it’s hydra, planaria, or detritus worms. It suggests there’s some leftover food or some nutrience keeping these things alive. You’ve been given some good advice. Keep the water changes and gravel vacuum etc etc. It should go away.

Eloturtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
It looks like a parasite or a bacterial worm .I think you can use an anti bacterial liquid.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It looks like a parasite or a bacterial worm .I think you can use an anti bacterial liquid.
Hello; some things to consider before doing such. The infestation may clear up with care about excess food by reduced feedings and perhaps fasting days.
Another is that throwing an anti-biotic before knowing the true nature of the infestation is risky. The medication may not work on "worms" but likely can wipe out the beneficial bacteria (bb) of a tank.
By the way I do not know of "bacterial worms". Never heard of such.

Also there is nothing so far to suggest these worms are a parasite. Tanks do get infested with hydra and some non parasitic worms. If the OP has a fish die soon then an inspection of the gut may answer that question.

Reactions: tlindsey

Eloturtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
Sorry if i am wrong but somthing like this covered my goldfishs and kois bodies. I m not sure is the same thing but they entered even in theirs mouth and gills and blocked their brathing.Most of fishes died.it can be a parasitic worm.

maladie_poisson_worms_vers_et_parasites_1_0.jpg

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Looks like just a detritus worm. Same as most everyone else has said, feed less. I probably wouldn't change anything, the odd one is pretty normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store