molly and guppy hybrids?????? muppies? gollies?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Anyone know anything on these? I think they're pretty cool, and some turn out to be pretty cool:
upload_2018-1-3_21-22-35.jpeg

I wonder what a nebula steel guppy crossed with an marbled molly would turn out to be.
orangetail_molly_male_140403a2_w0640.jpg
upload_2018-1-3_21-25-36.jpeg
I just question how a male molly gets it 'done'... same with a male guppy... I'm here questioning this yet no one really questions rottweilers crossed with chihuahuas.

sorry for the huge pictures.
all these pictures do not belong to me. The rightfully belong to their owners, I'm just using them as examples.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I mean I guess it works both ways, guppy males prefer larger females and mollie usually have smaller females.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
nothing?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Designer dog breeds are commonly created by artificial insemination. the dogs never actually do it.

Both English and French Bulldogs can mostly only conceive through artificial insemination and must be delivered by C-section. the breed standard produced dogs with deformed hips and they find it difficult to mount let alone actually give birth. (some can breed just fine, but they are usually crossed with another breed in their recent history like the "Olde English Bulldogge"

So imagine the Big X small dog designer breeds are created by inseminating a female large dog with the sperm of a small dog. the same idea has been hypothesized for cloning the mammoth with a surrogate female elephant.

enough about dogs and mammoths,
My point is that commercial fish farms have long created hybrids by artificially releasing the milt and eggs of other species such as catfish to create hybrids. (Synos anyone)
Guppy and Mollys can interbreed but I imagine it would be a rare occurence and I have read they are mostly sickly. I guess thats why they never actually hit the shelves.

I have a female Mosquitofish in with my Humpback limias. my single male Limia doesnt even remotely look at the mosquitofish with his 5 females present.

Reactions: Tony A.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Designer dog breeds are commonly created by artificial insemination. the dogs never actually do it.
yep... I know...
same with the fish farm thing. they have to do that with some goldfish breeds because they can't spawn naturally.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
yep... I know...
same with the fish farm thing. they have to do that with some goldfish breeds because they can't spawn naturally.
Makes you wonder if that qualifies as playing god lol...

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I actually have 3 muppies. They were the product of a male pineapple Molly breeding with one of my female guppies. Sadly as a result the female he bred with died but she did leave me behind 3 children. She was a massive guppy at 4 inches. All males, 1 has the female brown/grey color, 1 is almost pure orange while the last one ended up being orange with black flecks on its tail and neon blue tiger stripes all up and down it's sides.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

Ezek5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2022
Chicago, Illinois
Anyone know anything on these? I think they're pretty cool, and some turn out to be pretty cool:
View attachment 1292042

I wonder what a nebula steel guppy crossed with an marbled molly would turn out to be.
View attachment 1292047
View attachment 1292043
I just question how a male molly gets it 'done'... same with a male guppy... I'm here questioning this yet no one really questions rottweilers crossed with chihuahuas.

sorry for the huge pictures.
all these pictures do not belong to me. The rightfully belong to their owners, I'm just using them as examples.
Beautiful fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store