Sump question - GPH

Ofonléon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
I dont know where you read that. The stand pipe is just the pipe on the overflow so essentially both durso and the siphon are stand pipes.

This stuff can be confusing

The siphon line will be silent. Much more quieter than a durso and it will move more water. In your set up the durso isnt needed. The e drain is a gravity fed line (non siphon) this is the most important part of the planning because with out it there is not safety factor. 1 inches wont handle 1700 gph
The E drain will become a siphon if ever the main one clogg. It will be the same pipe setup, just a bit above the first drain..

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The E drain will become a siphon if ever the main one clogg. It will be the same pipe setup, just a bit above the first drain..
Are you sure thats the way you want to do it. Only because it takes time for a drain to purge the air and at different heights the pressure is different on the stand pipes which affects how u dial in the gate valve.

After a wc my siphons dont fully purge air until the next day. During this time they are not operating at full capacity

Reactions: narayanang76

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Are you sure thats the way you want to do it. Only because it takes time for a drain to purge the air and at different heights the pressure is different on the stand pipes which affects how u dial in the gate valve.

After a wc my siphons dont fully purge air until the next day. During this time they are not operating at full capacity
Nowadays I am doing this way: While doing water change, I completely close the valve on the full siphon line first and then switch off the pump. some amount of water will rush through the trickle/emergency lines at this time. This way the full siphon still have water inside till above the valve, even when the tank water level is below. Once the water change is complete, I switch on the pump first and then once water enters the overflow box, slowly adjust the valve on the siphon line and siphons line comes live in few seconds.

Here, I am talking about my BeanAnimal overflow, with 3 drain lines.

Ofonléon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
New plan : The emergency drain will be plumb directly into my house plumbing.. Behind the wall where will be the aquarium, i'm currently making a bathroom. So ill make a Y connected to with my sink drain, just behind. So in that case, if ever the water rise to the E pipe, it will be flushed out. I think this is pretty much fail safe... What you guys think ?

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
New plan : The emergency drain will be plumb directly into my house plumbing.. Behind the wall where will be the aquarium, i'm currently making a bathroom. So ill make a Y connected to with my sink drain, just behind. So in that case, if ever the water rise to the E pipe, it will be flushed out. I think this is pretty much fail safe... What you guys think ?
This way your tank water will go out of the 'system' and if it continues to drain through E-Drain, your water level will continue to reduce and sump can run out of water and pump can run dry get damaged. Better to keep the emergency line also back to the sump itself.

Reactions: JK47 and jaws7777

Ofonléon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
This way your tank water will go out of the 'system' and if it continues to drain through E-Drain, your water level will continue to reduce and sump can run out of water and pump can run dry get damaged. Better to keep the emergency line also back to the sump itself.
Yeah, thats what i thought after writing it. Lol. Ill plumb the water change drain tthis way instead. Thx!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nowadays I am doing this way: While doing water change, I completely close the valve on the full siphon line first and then switch off the pump. some amount of water will rush through the trickle/emergency lines at this time. This way the full siphon still have water inside till above the valve, even when the tank water level is below. Once the water change is complete, I switch on the pump first and then once water enters the overflow box, slowly adjust the valve on the siphon line and siphons line comes live in few seconds.

Here, I am talking about my BeanAnimal overflow, with 3 drain lines.
Im too lazy to even touch my gate valve lol. Im more concerned that OP is setting up his E drain as a siphon where as most E drains are gravity fed.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store