Compilation of DIY plywood tanks (Load Warning)

Tankzfordayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2017
Love this thread.
It helped me build my own roughly 135 gal plywood tank for my turtles.
will try to find a pick of it completed.

IMG_2646.JPG

Reactions: BichirKing

4FordFamily

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2018
Carmel, Indiana
Hey this thread is amazing!

Does anyone know of a 10-12 foot tank without a wooden support obstructing the view in the middle that was successful? Is this possible?

I’m trying to build a wall tank but would like to avoid the wood up the center in lieu of support above and below the viewing glass (as you can hear I’m not exactly handy, my good friends are though).

Thanks in advance!

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
Hey this thread is amazing!

Does anyone know of a 10-12 foot tank without a wooden support obstructing the view in the middle that was successful? Is this possible?

I’m trying to build a wall tank but would like to avoid the wood up the center in lieu of support above and below the viewing glass (as you can hear I’m not exactly handy, my good friends are though).

Thanks in advance!
If you fiber glassed it and braced it properly I think you could get away with it. I'd brace it similar to AlexGs over on R2R. Going to start my plywood reef next year.

StubbyDnutZ

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2018
Minnesota
ok so I'm new here. I've got several tanks currently and have repaired several throughout the years. I came to this site based off of researching a plywood aquarium because what I want for dimensions i cant purchase. that being said i also have a wonderful wife whom i love dearly that wants it to be a beautiful feature(cant blame her but I only have so many tools). I'm curious if anyone has repurposed a China hutch or large curio cabinet into an aquarium?

Now that your done laughing at the new guy... if a guy were to so the glass right (front first and then sides for support and plywood back) why wouldnt it work?

I understand that cleaning it will be a pain due to height however that's not a real concern for me. My concern is can it be done? If not why not?Screenshot_20181218-154654_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Stubby, I worked over 40 years in engineering, and I would not advise you to attempt this at all.

It's not rocket science, but it's real easy to make a fatal error on these things.

I started to show you some math on the structure, but it really doesn't matter because it's such a poor functional idea.

Really tall skinny aquariums are a very bad idea for many reasons, and I say this having owned some that are only moderately tall and skinny.

Reactions: BichirKing

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I'll throw my 500+ gallon in the mix. It was up for over 6 years and when we tore it down due to moving the wood looked like it was brand new.

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store