FX6 impeller noise

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Just cleaned the FX6 and turned it on and holy wow. Loud noise coming from the motor area. I've never taken it apart in the past 17 months of owning it to clean the impeller. I did expecting to find sand or Malaysian trumpet snails in there but nothing but gunk. Cleaned it out etc. and reconnected and the noise is gone.

However, I'm hearing a popping noise from the motor area that sounds like when the system is purging every minute or so.

Could just be air trapped inside?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Just an update that the noise stopped. They must have redeemed itself after the 12-hour shut down

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Yea that’s should of been all it was. Mine sometimes does that if my "prefilter" sponge has gotten too dirty and the intake is clogging causing the pump to cavitate creating MORE air inside the canister and motor. -----> I Obviously try to avoid this as restrictions(intended or NOT intended) are not good for the pump and seals.

Using a good pre-filter on these cans intake (and servicing that pre-filter weekly) really extends the required maintenance of the internal media of these units.
I'm at 9 months presently, and will probably make it till June easily at this point.

I hate servicing cans in the winter(too cold outside) as I always like to take mine outside, remove the the Foams and BLAST them with the waterhose nozzle to get them super clean. As far as the bio (Matrix/substrat Pro and Ceramic Bakki Shower Balls)and while rinsing the bio media in used tank water.

That said, I will have to service the motor on mine this time as well, but shouldn’t be too hard. Just gotta make sure to silicone grease the seals each time....

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Yea that’s should of been all it was. Mine sometimes does that if my "prefilter" sponge has gotten too dirty and the intake is clogging causing the pump to cavitate creating MORE air inside the canister and motor. -----> I Obviously try to avoid this as restrictions(intended or NOT intended) are not good for the pump and seals.

Using a good pre-filter on these cans intake (and servicing that pre-filter weekly) really extends the required maintenance of the internal media of these units.
I'm at 9 months presently, and will probably make it till June easily at this point.

I hate servicing cans in the winter(too cold outside) as I always like to take mine outside, remove the the Foams and BLAST them with the waterhose nozzle to get them super clean. As far as the bio (Matrix/substrat Pro and Ceramic Bakki Shower Balls)and while rinsing the bio media in used tank water.

That said, I will have to service the motor on mine this time as well, but shouldn’t be too hard. Just gotta make sure to silicone grease the seals each time....
I absolutely cleaning the canister filter as well. What kind of silicone grease do you use and is there a special sponge you use for the intake?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
For Silicone grease: Standard silicone grease from Lowes or Home depot plumbing dept.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5-oz-Silicone-Faucet-Grease-88693/203193536

For a Prefilter: "FilterMax III prefilter" or make your own---> ingenuity in this hobby is a MUST!
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/PreFilter.html

Hope this helps.... ;)
Heeeeck yeah! Thanks! Seriously if this intake sponge can prolong me cleaning the canister filter that would be so awesome

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Once you ad a good pre-filter sponge, you should only have to clean the pre-filter when you do your water changes maybe once a week or so (thats what i do).

As stated above, when using a pre-filter, I could make it at least 3 months without cleaning the canister itself when i was HEAVILY stocked, and now that I'm "lightly stocked" I'm at 9 months without any flow drop or canister cleaning. I merely squeeze out the pre-filter during water change time weekly or even bi-weekly if I get busy and need to stretch it out (YMMV depending on your load/tank stocking density) .

Another fact: I also only feed once a day, only 5 days out of 7(full week), assuring ALL food is consumed immediately.

In addition, it's probably NOT a bad idea to clean your canister every 6 months or so, but mine is still running fine at 9 months, and so I've decided to try making it a year since I have a really light load now (single 12 inch male Amph/MiDevil in a 75 with Weekly 50% water changes). My nitrate averages 30-40 now, with a HIGH of up to 80ish when I was heavily stocked, but was doing 2 water changes per week...

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Once you ad a good pre-filter sponge, you should only have to clean the pre-filter when you do your water changes maybe once a week or so (thats what i do).

As stated above, when using a pre-filter, I could make it at least 3 months without cleaning the canister itself when i was HEAVILY stocked, and now that I'm "lightly stocked" I'm at 9 months without any flow drop or canister cleaning. I merely squeeze out the pre-filter during water change time weekly or even bi-weekly if I get busy and need to stretch it out (YMMV depending on your load/tank stocking density) .

Another fact: I also only feed once a day, only 5 days out of 7(full week), assuring ALL food is consumed immediately.

In addition, it's probably NOT a bad idea to clean your canister every 6 months or so, but mine is still running fine at 9 months, and so I've decided to try making it a year since I have a really light load now (single 12 inch male Amph/MiDevil in a 75 with Weekly 50% water changes). My nitrate averages 30-40 now, with a HIGH of up to 80ish when I was heavily stocked, but was doing 2 water changes per week...
This looks extremely promising eiththr intake sponge. I also have a light load in my 125 and feed once a day...but it varies from 5 to 6 days per week. Well my bioload is not as light as yours but I hope this works.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
For Silicone grease: Standard silicone grease from Lowes or Home depot plumbing dept.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5-oz-Silicone-Faucet-Grease-88693/203193536

For a Prefilter: "FilterMax III prefilter" or make your own---> ingenuity in this hobby is a MUST!
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/PreFilter.html

Hope this helps.... ;)

Finally getting back to this and wanting to make the purchase but quick question. Do you remove the fx6 intake guard and then slap on this sponge in place of it?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
No, leave the FX6 intake strainer on intake pipe and fit the sponge or pre-filter around the outside of the strainer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store